PDA

View Full Version : Enfield Bullets

WBowen70
11-29-2014, 02:37 PM
I have seen a number of relic sites selling Enfield bullets that appear to be smooth with no grease rings. I assume it's a solid bullet without a cavity in the base. Anyone one have a history on this? I assumed that the bullets used in enfields during the WBTS was along the lines of the 3 ring Minie'. I guess I assumed wrong.

Wayne

ms3635v
11-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Wayne,

The Enfield smooth-sided minies had hollow bases. The range of diameters was .54" to .72" (McKee and Mason, pages 36 to 41).

spadegrip
11-29-2014, 05:21 PM
I have seen a number of relic sites selling Enfield bullets that appear to be smooth with no grease rings. I assume it's a solid bullet without a cavity in the base. Anyone one have a history on this? I assumed that the bullets used in enfields during the WBTS was along the lines of the 3 ring Minie'. I guess I assumed wrong.

Wayne

The Pritchett bullet you discribed was used in the Enfield rifle. It does have a hollow base as does the minnie as Mike mentioned. The diameter of the ball was either .55 or .564-8. These were shot in .577 bores, with the difference made with a paper patch which was part of the cartridge. At first, the hollow base had an iron cup inserted to aid expansion in the bore. This was followed by a wood plug, then a plug made of fired clay. The paper wrapping held the lube hence no grease grooves on the bullet. If you google Pritchett bullet or Pritchett paper cartridge, you will see how they were nade and used.

robertdeans72
11-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Hi there,

Here is a short clip on how they (the bullets with the cartridge) functioned...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNIt8RvGP5M

Cheers,
Rob

spadegrip
11-29-2014, 06:16 PM
Thanks Rob for chimeing in. I learned most of what I know about Pritchett cartridges from your videos.

WBowen70
11-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Very interesting, answered my question.

How about other rifled muskets, say a Springfield? same process as with the paper that went into the bore?

spadegrip
11-30-2014, 02:10 AM
The Springfield utilized a cartridge that did not have the paper go down the bore. The 1855, and then the 1861 paper cartridge was torn revealing the naked bullet which was then rammed down the barrel. The Confederacy tried to standardize the Enfield type cartridge in 1864 with some success. I do recommend Dean Thomas's series of books on the subject "Round ball to Rimfire". A great reference for anyone interested in Civil War cartridge use and manufacture.

robertdeans72
11-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Gents,

Happy that the clip answered some questions. With it's complexity of construction, comes extremely fast operation and ease of use. A most excellent design, for sure.

Cheers,
Rob