PDA

View Full Version : what powder to buy for 1861 Springfield

tonyvr4
11-25-2014, 11:10 AM
I recently purchased an ArmiSport reproduction 1861 Springfield and am ready to buy some powder and related supplies.
However, depending on who I ask, I get different recommendations on what power and grade to buy.

One person recommended pyrodex, another recommended grade FFG, another FF or FFF

I mainly do reenacting but would like to do a live fire once or twice. I have been told by many people that it is difficult to find power in NJ. Everyone I have talked to said that they purchase their supplies when they go out of state for whatever reason.

Can anyone help clear up the confusion?
Thanks

Rebel Dave
11-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Tony
Can't help you with where to get your powder, but for live fire, I would suggest GOEX 3FFF powder. Use 45-55 grains,(maybe up to 60). Also use only minnies made from pure soft lead, and lubed with good lube. MCM lube works great, MCM lube is available from "Northeast Trade Co." in PA. Good Luck, and join an N-SSA unit in your area, their are lots of them there.

Rebel Dave

tonyvr4
11-25-2014, 12:52 PM
That is a great start. Now I know what to look for

How can I find a local NSSA unit?

Thanks

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
11-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Tony,

Go to the main site, N-SSA.ORG , and click fir beginners. then go to the Mid-Atlantic region,, then to the commander, Joe Plakis. You will find him extremely helpful!

Now, to shooting. Again, ask Joe! he will answer all your questions and get you shooting.

Oh, yeah, don't forget to ALWAYS clean your musket. Black powder fouling will ruin a good barrel in no time at all.

Greg

tonyvr4
11-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Tony,

Go to the main site, N-SSA.ORG , and click fir beginners. then go to the Mid-Atlantic region,, then to the commander, Joe Plakis. You will find him extremely helpful!

I can't locate the page you mentioned "for beginners"

Fred Jr
11-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Hi Tony, when on the N-SSA page go to the heading About US and then click on N-SSA Regions. You can then click on the region nearest you or any region you want. The Mid-Alantic region is closest to you. As for powder you have to use black powder only to shoot in the N-SSA. Some like FF and some like FFF. Some where between 40 and 50 of either may be an acceptable load. But you will probably need to experiment to find what you 61 likes to eat. there is a powder store near our range in Winchester VA. You can give him a call to see if he will deliver. BackCreek Gun Shop.

As for bullets you can buy them cast or maybe after you contact some one in your area they will help you determine what size bullet you will need. If you cast your own make sure you have soft lead. Different rifles use different size and weight bullets and again you will probably need to experiment to determine what will work best.

Hope this helps some,
Best of luck,
Fred

RaiderANV
11-25-2014, 03:12 PM
3F powder for sure and where are you located? Post up your town and im sure folks will contact you with their unit info.

Maillemaker
11-25-2014, 03:21 PM
You can use 2F or 3F powder. 3F burns a little quicker and cleaner with its finer grain so typically you can get the same performance of a 2F load with a little less 3F powder. I've heard 15% reduction as a rule of thumb. Since 2F and 3F powder costs the same, shooting 3F will save you about 15% in costs.

Synthetic powders/substitutes are not allowed in N-SSA competition.

Here is a map of all the N-SSA skirmish locations.

If you click on a skirmish location, it will tell you which region(s) use it, and a link to that region's web site.

https://goo.gl/maps/ErZmN

Steve

tonyvr4
11-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Great info. Thanks.

I do like the idea of cost savings and will give the FFF a try first and see where I can get some
It looks like there are no skirmish locations in NJ.

I am located in Toms River, south jersey shore area
Thanks

gemmer
11-25-2014, 04:52 PM
It's probably a 2 1/2 hour drive but the closest place may be Dunkelberger's In Stroudsberg Pa, about 15
minutes fron the Delaware Water Gap off of Rt 80 west. I usually get mine at Dixon's but that's even a longer haul. Last time I got powder at Dunkelberger's was 2 years ago so I'd call them first.

www.dunkelbergers.com (http://www.dunkelbergers.com)

Duane
Hope, NJ

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
11-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Tonyvr4,

Middle Atlantic Region Commander Joe Plakis's email address is JosephPlakis@comcast.net

Joe Plakis, 9575V
11-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Tony the Middle Atlantic Region has not had a Skirmish in NJ since well before I joined in 1997. It is not that we are against skirmishing in New Jersey, the issue has been finding ranges that are usable and available. The closest range that we use to you is Springtown Rod and Gun Club, which is located in Springtown Bucks County, just a little south of Bethlehem. If you are looking for a team or some people to contact in your area I have multiple teams in your area that can contact you.

As for where to get powder, most in our sport buy it once or twice a year when we travel to Winchester VA, where our National Range, Fort Shenandoah is, there is Back Creek Gun Shop located yards from our exit gate. They have great prices and friendly service.

As for what powder to use, I would say away from anything but pure black powder.... Reason is simple, I wouldn't want you to get in trouble at a Reenactment or a Skirmish for using it. Because the N-SSA does not allow the use of anything but blackpowder and I know some reenacting groups have banned it as well.

Now the debate of 2f vs 3f..... The answer is simply either, both will work. What you need to learn is what will work best for you and your firearm. Shooting blackpowder and working up a load is not like buying a box of .308 or 45ACP. Because Blackpowder is kinda like alchemy, you need to just try it to see if it works. I have an 1861 Springfield that shoots a .578 Hogdon round with 46 grains of 3f, and it shoots a ragged hole at both 50 and 100 yards. If you put that round in your musket it might not yield the same results. You might find your firearm likes a different bullet and a different powder charge.

So the quest is in front of you. I am willing to help get you in contact with the people the can help you figure things out, and help you locate supplies.

Feel free to email me direct at josephplakis@comcast.net

Michael Bodner
11-26-2014, 08:04 AM
You should check out the New England Region, specifically, the 1st NJ Light Artillery, specifically, Mike Kendra (mike@civilwartalk.com). They are a NJ team.

The NE region is a great bunch of folks that shoot in Middletown NY, Saratoga NY, Hopkinton MA and some in Conn too. http://nssa-newengland.org/joomla257/

-Mike

tonyvr4
11-26-2014, 11:05 AM
I do understand the problem related to ranged for reenacting. NJ seems to place lesser value on open space and green areas. I live near the shore and there is more open space here than when I lived further north. However, I would like to find units that I can participate with. The 61st NY is great and I really enjoy the events and the people. They are incredibly helpful and even let me borrow a uniform at events until I could afford to buy one.

On the powder side. I spoke to a friend, who uses pyrodex in his muzzleloader, and who also used to live in this area. He told me that the local gun shop does carry this powder. Not sure if RS or Select would be better.

But this is the only powder of any kind that I have found locally. This being said, the local availability is a big bonus.

I am looking into other brands just in case.

I will email you for further details. Thanks!

Muley Gil
11-26-2014, 12:29 PM
The N-SSA only allows real black powder. Once you join up, it won't be hard to get powder from a teammate that travels down to the Fort.