PDA

View Full Version : Zouave Replica origin

River Jerry
11-23-2014, 12:21 AM
I recently acquired a replica Zouave musket in .58 cal. From the proof marks on the barrel I found out it was made in Italy in 1982. There are no discernible manufacturers marks except for three nested R's. I've attached a picture to see if anyone can identify it. Thanks in advance

John Holland
11-23-2014, 10:39 AM
I believe that may be the mark of "Ranson", now long out of business.

JDH

Curt
11-23-2014, 11:31 PM
Hallo!

I am stumped.

Did you take the barrel out and look underneath it?

Ranson typically stamped their barrels "Ranson Italia Spa" etc." often next to the rear sight on the right hand side. But they are known to stamp under the barrel as well.

"Ranson' was a typical "Bresica" type maker, and also made for other companies like Sile.
As well was exporting for US companies like Navy Arms. "Zouave" rifles and a non-Hawken type TC "Hawken" clone were there "biggest" sellers.

Curt

Timmeu
11-23-2014, 11:36 PM
I owned a Ranson back in the 1970's and 1980's and it wasn't marked like that.

hawkeye2
11-24-2014, 01:20 AM
I had a Ranson Zouave back in the late 70's for a brief while and it was clearly marked with the word "Ranson" though I don't remember anything else except it was a typical Italian Zouave of the period.

River Jerry
11-29-2014, 02:29 AM
I've looked at the underside of the barrel - only more proof marks; nothing that says Ransom. Thanks for the responses.