PDA

View Full Version : My results with the Wilkinson bullet

tackdriver
11-14-2014, 12:46 PM
I know a bunch of you haven't been able to sleep at night wondering how I did with the Moose Wilkinson bullet vs the minie. I shot these targets with my 1853 Enfield with a Hoyt barrel from a rest. Both targets at 100 yards. I used 40g of 3F Goex for the Wilkinson and 45g for the Minie. The results of the Minie are on the paper target, the Wilkinson on the Shoot n See. After the pix was taken I fired a few more at the Shoot n See and the results were consistent.
The "grouping" I got with the Minie has been the norm for the last 10 years. 2 months ago I suddenly got an 8" grouping and still have not been able to figure out why it was so much better on that day. Nothing had changed.
I am impressed with the Wilkinson so far, especially at 50 yards. I haven't clicked my heels as yet as I've been shooting black powder for so long I know the results I get one day may not carry over to the next.
Anyway guys, as usual, thanks for the help!

Fred Jr
11-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Can I ask what style of minie you are using? Curious as I have used Enfields for many years.

Thanks,
Fred

tackdriver
11-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Standard 3 band minie. Cast in a Lyman mould. Weight varies around 510g. Pure lead of course. JPG lube. Do you get better results at 100yds? Other than that one time, this result has been the norm. And this was from a bench! Power type, amount you use? thx!

Maillemaker
11-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Hi Tackdriver,

Gotta say, off a bench at 50 yards those are not what I would consider good groups.

Off a bench at 50 yards you should be able to blow a single ragged hole about 2" in diameter in the paper with 10 shots.

I've got one hanging on my wall right now with my Richmond Carbine with Hoyt Barrel with a RCBS-Hodgdon bullet and 44 Grains 3F Shuetzen.

I've got another one right beside it with 5 shots of Wilkinson with 60 grains 2F Goex and all 5 shots make a "cloverleaf" hole in the paper, using my Pedersoli P58. Though I never duplicated this load so I can't say if it is the "magic" load. Even if it is I'm not sure I want to shoot 60 grains of powder in competition. :)

I've heard it said that if you can't hold a 6" group offhand at 50 yards you don't have anything.

I think you should work on your load development. It's also possible you have a bad barrel. My Euroarms barrel required a .584 bullet and I never did get it to shoot worth a darn with any load or bullet.

Steve

jonk
11-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Hi Tackdriver,

Gotta say, off a bench at 50 yards those are not what I would consider good groups.

Off a bench at 50 yards you should be able to blow a single ragged hole about 2" in diameter in the paper with 10 shots.

I've got one hanging on my wall right now with my Richmond Carbine with Hoyt Barrel with a RCBS-Hodgdon bullet and 44 Grains 3F Shuetzen.

I've got another one right beside it with 5 shots of Wilkinson with 60 grains 2F Goex and all 5 shots make a "cloverleaf" hole in the paper, using my Pedersoli P58. Though I never duplicated this load so I can't say if it is the "magic" load. Even if it is I'm not sure I want to shoot 60 grains of powder in competition. :)

I've heard it said that if you can't hold a 6" group offhand at 50 yards you don't have anything.

I think you should work on your load development. It's also possible you have a bad barrel. My Euroarms barrel required a .584 bullet and I never did get it to shoot worth a darn with any load or bullet.

Steve
He said the load was shot at 100. I'd be happy with the Wilkinson load at 100, but the minie one not so much.

tackdriver
11-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Remember, the photos are from 100 yards. At 50, the Wilkinsons did some nice grouping. Still, I've never been able to get cloverleaf groups with my Enfield and minies at 50. I have my doubts about the barrel and am thinking about new one. (what's another couple hundred bucks, eh?) Do you get cloverleaf with minies at 50y? I"ve tried playing with the powder amounts and 45g seems to work best. Anything much over that and the bullet goes wild.
The rifle does shoot straight. I can hit a 2 1/2 ft gong at 300 y with consistency. It's just that dang same hole accuracy that's always eluded me.

jonk
11-14-2014, 07:14 PM
I have a Euroarms that Bobby Hoyt re-cut the rifling on, keeping the original barrel, with a FL bedding job. From a bench it will shoot cloverleaf groups with a 315 gr wadcutter and 40 gr of goex 3f. it's problem is, even with the bedding, one day it will shoot dead on, the next day a foot right, etc. I put it in the closet and moved on to shooting a Fayetteville.

Fred Jr
11-14-2014, 08:11 PM
When I had my three bander I used the the P_H mould. It is like the standard 575-213 but has a shallow base. It shot quite well. (mid 90s off hand at 100) Better groups then you are getting with either bullet. I used 45FFFG of Goex. I now have a two bander with a Harmon-Large barrel. It does not like a wilkinson at all. I use a RCBS 578 sized to 576 and 43FFG of Goex. When I could still shoot it shot in the mid and 90s at 50. The H-L has 7 lands and groves and I believe that is why it doesn't like Wilkinson bullets.

Fred

ms3635v
11-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Tackdriver, that's a great start with the Wilkinson. Spend some more time at the range and tweek the powder charge alittle bit...the more you shoot the Wilkinson, the more you will get to learn the nuances of the bullet. A teammate was working up a load for the Wilkinson in his two band Colt (Hoyt barrel) using two different minies and the Wilkinson. The target in the post was shot with his Colt using the Wilkinson and 40 grains of 3F GOEX, from a bench, at 50 yards. The only adjustment needed was elevation and a touch of windage. The Wilkinson does perform well at 100 yards. the other attached target was shot offhand at 100 yards with the Wilkinson and 40 grains of 3F GOEX

Fred, what is the twist rate of your Harmon Large barrel? Over the last two years I have seen many Hoyt barrels that shoot the Wilkinson bullet very well, and Whitacre's barrels shoot them unbelievably well...just a thought.

2842 2843

Fred Jr
11-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Mike I have no idea what the rate of twist is. If I see Jerry Harmon next year I'll ask him! That probably is what makes the difference in how they shoot.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
11-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Mike I have no idea what the rate of twist is. If I see Jerry Harmon next year I'll ask him! That probably is what makes the difference in how they shoot.
Look underneath the barrel. He stamped the twist there

Fred Jr
11-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks Bruce! I just put the barrel back on this morning after giving the Enfield it's winter cleaning! I remember that there were numbers there but never thought about it. I mostly just get 'em and shoot 'em! I guess I've been lucky with most of the ones I've used.

Maillemaker
11-15-2014, 11:04 PM
I don't know how I read 50 yards.

Anyway that's not terrible for the Wilkinson at 100.

Steve

tackdriver
11-16-2014, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=Maillemaker;43147]I don't know how I read 50 yards.

Anyway that's not terrible for the Wilkinson at 100.

Steve[/QUOTE

Eyesight is one of the first things to go ya know. I am pleased so far with the Wilkinson, just wish I can figure out what's going on with the minies. I assume now that since the Wilks shot ok, that it is NOT the barrel. So I just saved some bucks.

dennis g
11-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Are you 100% sure of your lead?

tackdriver
11-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Are you 100% sure of your lead?

Yes sir. At least that's what it was sold to me as. Ebay...... Still, this is accuracy problem is something I've always had with the rifle over the years and all batches of lead were supposed to be "pure"...

Jim Barber
11-17-2014, 11:52 PM
I'm not a guru by any measure, but I wonder if you can eliminate hard lead simply by the fact that none of the 100 yd rounds appears to have keyholed? Esp. at 100, wouldn't at least a couple unexpanded/uncompressed rounds (assuming the Minies and Wilkinsons came from the same stock) splattered sideways on the targets?

Just a thought...

Jim B.