PDA

View Full Version : Were the H&P Smoothbores bright or browned?

Dan Greketis 4914V
11-07-2014, 11:30 PM
As the title asks; Were the H&P smoothbores Bright or browned? If browned; hardware too?

bobanderson
11-08-2014, 06:11 AM
Since they were originally 1816 flintlocks, I'd say they were bright.
I DO know the N-SSA doesn't care if you brown or blue a gun that was originally bright.
I learned that when I got tired of seeing mine look like a speckled pup after every rain.

I'm browning mine this winter. Barrel and hardware. It looks great that way.

Rich Foster
11-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Don, The type II M1816 was factory browned. There were 3 types of the M1816 the 1816,1822 and 1831 which all can be judged by where the trigger guard swivel was placed. All the rest were bright finish. Of course almost any gun that old would have a nice patina brown on it now. Unless the hardware was stripped down to a bright finish I have just browned the barrel. I have some M1816 hardware that has a dull finish to patina look and did not browned the barrel and past 3 years the new barrel almost favors the old hardware. A very dull gray with spots. I made this happen on purpose by not oiling outside of the barrel. So brown away if at first it comes out looking uneven leave it will look more natural with old hardware.Rich

Curt
11-08-2014, 11:07 AM
Hallo!

It.. depends.

Hewes & Phillips had contracted with Frankford Arsenal to alter 12,143 muskets (previously altered to cone-in-barrel) for the Feds, plus 8,000 for New Jersey.

For New Jersey's contract was to alter "M1816 Type I's," and already previously altered "M1816 Type II's" for $2.95 each.

As shared above, the Type I's were bright, the Type II's browned (including the socket and elbow of the bayonet), and Type III's returned to being struck bright.

As far as I know, H & P did not refinish the Type II's (economics/profits) . but it is guessed/speculated/believed by some sometimes that they might have as it was not uncommon for alterations to be brought up to contemporary standards. Such as, but not always, the M1841 Rifle alterations being struck bright to be "on par" with the M1855 Rifles.

Curt