PDA

View Full Version : Hideout and "pocket" guns?

Naphtali
11-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Excepting J. W. Booth's derringer, I seldom notice any information pertaining to hideout and "pocket" guns. While I own nothing anyone might consider in either classification, my interest in three reproductions has been building for about a year.

The three pistols are: Pedersoli's Philadelphia derringer (aka Lincoln murder pistol); Pedersoli's Liege screw barrel 44; and Pietta's steel Remington 1863 .31-caliber revolver. None of these is inexpensive. No one with whom I shoot owns any or has fired any.

Those of you with experience with any of these pistols, I would appreciate your describing that experience. I specified brand and model to avoid, for example, information on Jukar-made Philadelphia derringers. Having read Spanish black powder proof regulations, I keep away from Spanish black powder firearms - and keep away from anyone shooting one.

John Holland
11-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Sir,

Would it be possible for you to post a link to the Spanish black powder proof regulations? I am very interested in reading them.

Thank you.

John Holland
Chairman, N-SSA Small Arms Committee

Naphtali
11-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Sir,

Would it be possible for you to post a link to the Spanish black powder proof regulations? I am very interested in reading them.

Thank you.

John Holland
Chairman, N-SSA Small Arms CommitteeThey are found in an older Gun Digest during that period when the annual ran a yearly article titled "Gun Proof in xxx." I believe I kept the articles on British, German, French, and perhaps a couple of others. Probably the biggest eye opener was information on Fusil Darne's [smokeless powder] triple proof for their sliding breech double guns. No other shotgun has been subjected to such a proof. I'll check to determine whether I kept the Spanish proof article. You might find out whether it is available from Krause's archives, since they now own Gun Digest.

Chris Sweeney
11-06-2014, 08:39 PM
I have one of the Pietta .31's. It's well made, locks up good, trigger isn't too horrible. At 7 yards it will print a respectable group; by the time you step back to 25 yards it's sort of angle-of-cardboard

hobbler
11-07-2014, 07:15 PM
The revolvers cut back to practically no barrel are some interesting pieces.
Just saying, might be worth looking at from the historical perspective.