PDA

View Full Version : Gallager bullet question

bpshooter
11-05-2014, 05:46 AM
I own an original gallager carbine and i want to know what diameter bullets i need for it can some one help! what rb and conicals can i use ?

ms3635v
11-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Original Gallager's were 50 caliber. The range of diameters ran from .518" on the small size to .535" on the largest size. The average bullet diameter seems to be between .520" to .525". These diameters are referenced in Dean Thomas's book, "Round Ball to Rimfire", part 2, pages 54 to 121.

Jim Buckwell
11-05-2014, 08:09 AM
I have been using the Rapine "Smith" mould that makes a .516 to .517 dia. bullet. This is a pointed bullet with 2 grease rings. I then size it down to to .515 to fit snugly into the brass cartridge tube. I am using 30 grains of 2 f and enough filler to almost reach the landing that the bullet seats on. Do not compress the load. I also opened the brass cartridge flash hole to .062" dia. to help ignition. Bullet shoots better than I do. (Don't need any teammates commenting on that!)

Hope this helps
Jim

bpshooter
11-05-2014, 01:23 PM
i guess what i have now wont work then ?

i have 535 rb and a have a few of these conicals a guy sent me
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1285

ms3635v
11-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Those conicals are .54 caliber and too big...these bullets were meant to be used in an Erma Gallager reproduction.

bpshooter
11-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Those conicals are .54 caliber and too big...these bullets were meant to be used in an Erma Gallager reproduction.
ok thanks for the info! so what rb can i use i seen ppl use rb out of them also were can i find the right conicals for my original ! can i use these conicals ? http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_99_311_313&products_id=1349

ms3635v
11-06-2014, 06:56 AM
You could check the mould charts from Lyman, RCBS, etc., or you could go to Moose Moulds website. They have a good selection of conicals in sizes .515" to .525" that can be used in Smiths, Maynards and would work in your Gallager. They have a roundball in .535" but thar may be too large.

RaiderANV
11-06-2014, 10:50 AM
It would be most helpful if you knew the exact diameter of your barrel. About any machine shop of size could tell you within seconds with the proper gauge and I doubt they would charge you. THEN,,,,you can buy the proper mold to properly fit your barrel.

Curt
11-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Hallo!

Often with Period ammunition, it is a "nominal" that can vary a bit. For example, in theory, Gallagher Poultney cartridges had a .525, 374 grain conical bullet with 50 grains of powder.
But the metallic cartridge used a .520 CB weighing 435 grains with 60 grains of powder.
Yet, when looking at original cartridges, while .525 is the most common, there are also .532 or .518 varying between 428 and 596 grains.

The very first Gallagher submitted to the Ordnance Board in January 1861was .54. Some where between January and August when a preliminary order for 200 was given, the bore had been reduced to .50.

I don't remember the rifling twist rate of a Gallagher. It may (or may not, likely not, maybe) stabilize a round ball well enough to shoot accurately. (A reverse problem we see in Italian repro revolvers where they changed the rifling to better shoot round balls at the accuracy expense of the more Period conical bullets.)

I would think that since a breechloader squeezes down the oversized bullet, that in theory a round ball could be the same size as conical (unless maybe the chamber front/barrel rifling is "sensitive" to conicals.

I myself would skip round ball, but would suggest that you can try various round ball sizes. You can order cast RB in different sizes from muzzleloader shops, such as the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi Ohio. They come in 25 or 50 ball poly bags. A bag o' balls is cheaper than a mould, especially if your gun does not shoot RB well enough.

Curt

Jim Wimbish, 10395
11-06-2014, 01:36 PM
If I was thinking about shooting another Gallagher (I shot an Erma years ago), I would start by slugging the bore. Based on the bore diameter, see if a slightly oversize (.002") bullet will fit in the cases that you have. You can determine this with a dial caliper. Also, think about how you are going to get the bullets in the case. I had a Gallagher that used the brass cartridges that are available today, and they were a pain to load without some kind of a loading tool. I had a relined Erma Gallagher that I could shoot .515" bullets out and these worked fine in the brass cases that I had. Now if I had needed to shoot .525" bullets, I would have been in trouble, as the case walls on the brass that I had were quite thick. If anyone out there has any of the original brass cartridges from the CW, it might be interesting to know what the bullets mike out at. I checked online and I found some Gallagher cartridges that were brass and some that were cardboard. I am figuring that whoever is machining the brass cases, used an original case as a model and perhaps the bullet diameters in the brass cases are more consistent than the ones in the cardboard cases.

Just for the record, if you want to shoot original CW cartridge carbines, the Smith and the Maynard probably have the best selection of empty cases that you can use for reloading and shooting these guns. Gallagher's are far less common.

bpshooter
11-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks for all the info so far guysit is relly nice to be able to talk to ppl that has realy good knowledge and experience : )whit this sort of thing! ! The reason i ask about the round balls in becuse i seen a place that

has sold a few gallagers and they all came whit roundballs. Here il show u the pics from the site i actually have the loadingtool for it
http://licensfritt.se/DSC_2533.JPG-for-web-xlarge.jpg

http://licensfritt.se/DSC_6421.JPG-for-web-xlarge.jpg

http://licensfritt.se/DSC_6424.JPG-for-web-xlarge.jpg
http://licensfritt.se/DSC_6422.JPG-for-web-xlarge-1411580564.jpg

Jim Buckwell
11-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Just my opinion, but I have never in 30 plus years of N-SSA shooting seen such clean holes in a target as in that picture shot with a round ball. I suspect those were done with a wadcutter type bullet.

Respectfully,
Jim

Lou Lou Lou
11-07-2014, 09:06 AM
I believe the picture was down loaded from the site that sells galleghers.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
11-07-2014, 10:54 AM
I concur with Jim B. about the type of bullet that was used to shoot that target. I have lots of revolver targets that I can post where I used round balls, and the holes look nothing like the ones on that target!

Ron/The Old Reb
11-07-2014, 02:31 PM
That target was not shot with round balls. My Minnie wad cutters don't cut a hold that clean. It's looks like someone took an empty case and punch them out.

toot
06-13-2022, 01:48 PM
what does it look like & how is it used, and the case removal tool? thank's. toot.