PDA

View Full Version : Some Halloween excitement at the range

lkmcd1
11-01-2014, 07:12 AM
I took my 1859 Sharps carbine to the local range yesterday to check out some sight modifications I had done recently. I was shooting from a standing position with a light breeze into my face. My paper cartridges were held in a plastic case at my left side on the shooting bench just about adjacent to my waist with the hinged cover of the case open. After about 5 uneventful shots, I aimed, the gun fired and then there was a simultaneous flash accompanied by a whoosh sound. Somehow, I still am puzzled how it exactly happened, the 20 remaining cartridges in the box ignited. The bullets with smoldering fragments of paper were strewn about the bench. No damage or injury resulted, but it sure got the attention of the other shooters. So for me it was a lesson learned and in the future I will keep my cartridges covered and out of harms way when I shoot regardless of how unlikely it is that some ignition source could reach the cartridges.

A little more background:
The cartridges were sitting in the box with the bullet pointed up
The cartridges are made from regular printer paper which was not treated to make them combustible
I use hair curler paper for the bases
I blow any residual powder out of the cartridge box with compressed air before I use them
The plastic case is the type that has a hinged lid with positions for 25 cartridges that several of us use.

Larry

Muley Gil
11-01-2014, 08:32 AM
And now we know why there is a rule about shooting with a cartridge box on your side with the flap covering the rounds.

Glad you weren't hurt.

tmont
11-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Good reminder for us all. Thanks for posting and glad no injury.

I took my 1859 Sharps carbine to the local range yesterday to check out some sight modifications I had done recently. I was shooting from a standing position with a light breeze into my face. My paper cartridges were held in a plastic case at my left side on the shooting bench just about adjacent to my waist with the hinged cover of the case open. After about 5 uneventful shots, I aimed, the gun fired and then there was a simultaneous flash accompanied by a whoosh sound. Somehow, I still am puzzled how it exactly happened, the 20 remaining cartridges in the box ignited. The bullets with smoldering fragments of paper were strewn about the bench. No damage or injury resulted, but it sure got the attention of the other shooters. So for me it was a lesson learned and in the future I will keep my cartridges covered and out of harms way when I shoot regardless of how unlikely it is that some ignition source could reach the cartridges.

A little more background:
The cartridges were sitting in the box with the bullet pointed up
The cartridges are made from regular printer paper which was not treated to make them combustible
I use hair curler paper for the bases
I blow any residual powder out of the cartridge box with compressed air before I use them
The plastic case is the type that has a hinged lid with positions for 25 cartridges that several of us use.

Larry

John Holland
11-01-2014, 11:40 AM
This is a good time to remind everyone that the N-SSA requires all cartridge boxes to have double flaps, as per the original cartridge boxes. Even though you are allowed to fold up the outer flap under your waist belt, the remaining inner flap MUST cover the cartridges in the box. If you have your outer flap up under your waist belt and the inner flap is not completely covering the cartridges it is the Safety Officer's duty to tell you that you must then put the outer flap down to cover the cartridges in the box. Whether you like it or not, safety is foremost in our sport.

John Holland
National I.G. Corps

John Bly
11-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Many years ago two of our guys who have since crossed the river and are now resting in the shade of the trees were shooting their muskets and trying different powder charges. They left an open powder can about half full on a loading bench about 8 feet behind the firing line. Upon firing one time the powder can exploded and scared them both quite severely. They learned their lesson that day and never repeated the offense again. They were man enough to share their experience with others so it would not happen to them. Try shooting a black powder gun in darkness and you'll see how much hot matter is ejected from the muzzle. It will make a believer out of you.

Curt
11-01-2014, 01:56 PM
Hallo!

Just a two questions, so as to further my understanding and may be help prevent a repeat in the future..

1. Was any on smoking by you?

and more importantly...

2. Do you make a "CW Period" (post 1859) type Sharps cartridge or do you make a "pre1859" type cartridge with a folded tail that is cut off by the rising breech block?

Thanks.

Curt

lkmcd1
11-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Hallo!

Just a two questions, so as to further my understanding and may be help prevent a repeat in the future..

1. Was any on smoking by you?

and more importantly...

2. Do you make a "CW Period" (post 1859) type Sharps cartridge or do you make a "pre1859" type cartridge with a folded tail that is cut off by the rising breech block?

Thanks.

Curt

Hi Curt
1. Nobody was smoking, I was at a well supervised Michigan DNR range with a range officer.

2. I was shooting paper cartridges, but the way they are constructed, there is no "folded tail" to cut off. They are cylindrical with a flat end that totally fits within the closed breech. Once the breech is closed, there is no paper or powder residue. The flat base of the cartridge is hair curling paper which is glued to the end of the open paper cylinder, is very thin and doesn't hamper ignition. Once the glue dries, powder is added and the bullet is glued to the paper cartridge. The last step is to dip lube the bullet.

Regards
Larry

Southron Sr.
11-01-2014, 04:21 PM
A well documented, historical rumor has it that "Break Dancing" was invented when a spark from a musket firing nearby flew into a cartridge box full of paper cartridges that was on the right hip of a soldier during the First Battle of Manassas.

That is also when "Hip Hop" was also invented.

I leave the details to your imagination.

Curt
11-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Hallo!

Thanks Herr Larry, I appreciate it.

Sounds like "opposing" wind was just enough to blow some muzzle blast powder back.

Curt

OregonBill
12-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Wonderful lesson. Thanks for sharing, as I would not have thought this possible.