PDA

View Full Version : wtb pietta starr revolver

jmaire
10-31-2014, 10:14 AM
Looking to buy a reproduction pietta starr single action revolver.

Thanks for looking justin*

Ron/The Old Reb
10-31-2014, 02:37 PM
Star revolvers are double-action.

j.howardcycles
10-31-2014, 03:50 PM
Ron;
The model 1863 Starr that the army used was a single action.
John
C.S.A.

John Holland
11-01-2014, 12:11 AM
To set the record straight, the Starr Revolver was issued in both DA and SA versions. When FLLI Pietta produced the reproductions of those revolvers, only the Single Action model was given a "Production Approval" by the N-SSA's Board of Directors. They felt that the DA version had too many function issues for the BoD to give it a "Production Approval", therefore it was not, and is not, approved for use in the N-SSA's competitive matches.

That is to say, that if an individual reworks the action on the DA model to function properly he/she may submit said revolver to the SAC in order to receive a SAC Individual Approval Card.

John Holland
Chairman, National Small Arms Committee

Ron/The Old Reb
11-01-2014, 08:56 AM
I stand corrected. I forgot about the 44 cal 1863 Army model. :confused:

Joe Plakis, 9575V
11-01-2014, 10:32 AM
John,
Is the double action approved if it is an original....

John Holland
11-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Joe - Yes, both versions of the original Civil War Starr revolver are allowed for use in the N-SSA's competitive matches. The problem the Board had with the DA repro was that they didn't want to approve a reproduction arm that the membership would have too many problems with. I must say, the original DA Starr revolver is as apt to go out of sorts as the repro was. The internals are very delicate and can be a bit complicated for the uninitiated. Personally I prefer the weight and longer sight radius of the SA Starr.

JDH

Carolina Reb
11-01-2014, 11:54 AM
A disgusted ornance officer is reported to have commented to the effect that whoever sold Starr revolvers to the government should be tried as a traitor. I believe he was referring to the D.A.s

R. McAuley 3014V
11-01-2014, 09:02 PM
I bought one of the DA revolvers in 2003 and love it. Wish now I had bought a matching pair when I could have gotten them in consecutive serial numbers. When I bought it, I knew it wasn't approved for competition but bought it anyway because it was a double-action revolver, and at a sociable distance (7 yards), it's as accurate as most modern DA revolvers. Mine cost $244 shipped from Navy Arms and now Dixie Gun Works wants $550 for the DA.

Joe Heatwole 8174v
11-07-2014, 11:50 AM
PM sent on starr revolver.