PDA

View Full Version : Casting, sizing Wilkinson bullet

tackdriver
10-27-2014, 01:18 PM
I haven't received my mould yet but I already have a question. I understand that only the bottom part of the bullet needs to be lubed and not to get any lube in the area between the base and the bullet. After dipping the bullet in the lube, does anyone (everyone) wipe off the lube from the base of the bullet before it dries? I assume that in sizing the bullet, you put it into the sizing die base first so you don't collapse the bullet when driving it thru or is the force required to go from a .577 to .576 insignificant?
Im sure I'lll have a few more questions after I start casting.

thx

Maillemaker
10-27-2014, 01:58 PM
I was afraid of the different amounts of lube build up I was getting on the bottom of the bullet, so what I started doing was putting the bullets into an old cap tin with just the right amount of melted lube in it (I put it on a hot plate) so that the bottom of the bullet was submerged in lube, then I would pluck the bullet out and set it bottom-side-down on a sheet of wax paper.

In this way virtually no lube remains on the bottom of the bullet. There is some slight "flashing" of lube where it wicks out onto the wax paper, but this shaves off during loading.

I use a Lyman Lubrisizer for sizing and it is pushed by the nose base-first through the die. I am sizing the .580 wilkinson down to .578 and .576 without issue.

Steve

ms3635v
10-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Tackdriver,

If you are sizing just .001" or .002", the Wilkinson will go through the sizer without any trouble. I use a Northeast Trader sizer that fits in my RCBS Rockchucker Press (7/8 x14 thread size). I run the bullet nose first through the sizing die (I size from .577" to .576" as well)...I size first then dip in lube. I found that I prefer MCM lube because it seems to keep the fouling soft. Just the base ring should be lubed, if a small amount goes over the edge it's okay, but filling that area will not let the base compress and expand into the rifling. I also do not scrape the lube from the base, some have commented that unburned gunpowder sometimes remains on fired bullets, but I have not had any issues with leaving lube on the base. The picture included with this post shows how my Wilkinsons look after being sized then lubed. If you need more details, please send me a PM.

moosette
10-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Thank you Mike and Steve for explaining this so well!

P.S. - your mould is in the works :)

Moosette

tackdriver
10-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Dang Sandy, how'd ya know it was me?? Looking forward to getting the mould so I can finally hit those bullseyes! Thx guys, this is what I thought but I thought it best to double check. I guess Im not as think as I dumb I am!

Steve

pastore
10-28-2014, 07:33 PM
I was afraid of the different amounts of lube build up I was getting on the bottom of the bullet, so what I started doing was putting the bullets into an old cap tin with just the right amount of melted lube in it (I put it on a hot plate) so that the bottom of the bullet was submerged in lube, then I would pluck the bullet out and set it bottom-side-down on a sheet of wax paper.

In this way virtually no lube remains on the bottom of the bullet. There is some slight "flashing" of lube where it wicks out onto the wax paper, but this shaves off during loading.

I use a Lyman Lubrisizer for sizing and it is pushed by the nose base-first through the die. I am sizing the .580 wilkinson down to .578 and .576 without issue.

Steve

If you are sizing with a lubrisizer why are you dipping them in lube before sizing? That is the point of using a lubrisizer, it lubes AND sizes at the same time.

Maillemaker
10-29-2014, 05:45 AM
If you are sizing with a lubrisizer why are you dipping them in lube before sizing? That is the point of using a lubrisizer, it lubes AND sizes at the same time.

I don't think you can use the Lubrisizer to lube Wilkinson bullets. I'm assuming it would pack the compression gap with lube. I did not try it, but I'm pretty sure that's what it would do.

Wilkinson bullets pretty much have to be dipped as far as I can see.

Steve

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
10-29-2014, 08:19 AM
I've been using the single-groove Wilkinson mold I bought from Greg Edington for about a decade in my .54 cal Lorenz rifled muskets. They have .539 bores, and I size it to .538. I inserted the bullet into the die until the tip was level to the top rim, then blocked off all the holes not lining up with the groove with epoxy. I lube the groove, but not the base. You cannot entirely fill the groove and expect that bullet to expand correctly. I figure I have it filled a third to halfway with lube. The bore will get more fouled as it approaches the muzzle if you don't have enough lube.

Your results may vary, but I am sold on Wilkinson bullets. They are accurate and cast well.

Ibgreen
11-07-2014, 05:41 AM
This bullet is my new go to bullet for deer hunting. I am using a moose .577 sized to .576 in my Whittaker 1858 enfield barrel.