PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a company that makes fitted ear plugs in Ohio

Timmeu
10-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Does anyone have any contact information for these type of earplugs?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Fred Jr
10-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Most places that deal with hearing aids can make them but they tend to be expensive. Also you can get a kit from Cabelas to make your own. Just make sure you follow the directions! I didn't and they didn't work very well! Good luck.

Timmeu
10-12-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the lead! I will check into that.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
10-12-2014, 10:40 PM
I had a pair custom made at the Fort many years ago by a sutler who specialized in custom fit ear plugs. They worked ok, but I have personally found that a good pair of non-custom ear plugs with baffles work much better for me. I don't believe that any of the custom plugs have baffles and to me that is a significant shortcoming as the baffles seem to trump a custom fit ear plug without baffles.

Ramair
10-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Had a custom made pair made at Camp Perry this past August for $60.00 on commercial row. Advertised at 31dbs noise reduction, don't even need earmuffs. I wear them on the firing and flight line when I'm on trips, and they do a great job, easy to insert and allow conversation at normal levels. Hope this helps, Rob

Ramair
10-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Marty, I forgot the vendor info for the ear plugs I got at Camp Perry. Ear Plugs USA, Mission Viego, Ca., 949-770-2129 usaearplug@aol.com. Regards, Rob

fossilfinder
10-17-2014, 11:12 AM
I'm a fan of the surefire earplugs. Discrete and work well..
there are a couple of different options..

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=22230&tabid=548

that's just one from one of many vendors..
There are different sizes.. most military PXs carry the mediums but I wear large.

Alex J

Rob FreemanWBR
10-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Like Jim, I too had a pair of the "custom" plugs made that year at the Fort during a National. I haven't seen the vendor since, but these plugs in my opinion don't provided the level of hearing protection to what I use now, or just a pair of disposable foam plugs in a pinch. With the custom ones I found that I'd experience periodic episodes of tinnitus for several days shortly after a skirmish.

In 2013 I picked up a pair of Surefires and have been VERY pleased with their performance. I can wear them all day on the range comfortably. Due to their design they stay snug and secured. The plugs even have the option (but I don't use it) of allowing low noise to be audible (so as to understand conversations for ex.) while blocking high Db noises associated with weapon's discharging.

I still have the custom foam plugs but they're now relegated for use when I'm using the lawnmower...

Be advised - those custom made plugs do wear out after a few years of use. In my case though I don't think the foam "expanded" enough in my ear canal to provide proper protection(??).

Timmeu
10-18-2014, 01:03 AM
I have a set of custom plugs from several years ago that were comfortable and did a great job. My head and ears changed shape. I told my wife that I must be getting smarter and my head is swelling. Imagine the stare and snort that brought up. I thank everyone for their input and when I get my new pair found I will report back.