PDA

View Full Version : Put on those thinking caps. 1855 Type 1 Project

Dave Howard
10-11-2014, 07:39 PM
I have a barrel. It is marked at the breech R. A. HOYT, .578, 1-56, 0024. It has 8 grooves with a thick wall. It is 33.5 OAL with a welded bayonet lug 29.5 inches from the rear of the barrel. While at the Nationals this fall I paid a visit to the S.A.C. office where they bent over backwards to supply me with build information for the 1855 Type 1 riffle. I was given the spec. sheet and additional information to help with the project that would of, working on my own, taken me months to put together. I only hope that the members of the NSSA realize what a prime resource the S.A.C. is. We would be in a true world of hurt without it!

My mind prying is two fold. What information can you give me about the barrel, age, possible breech manufacturer, and any other information? The other question I have is for the S.A.C.. The build sheet gives no +/- Tol. for the bayonet lug other than a dimension of 29. What light are you able to shed on this?

Thanks in advance for any information that you can give me as this project is very special and goes further than just another 1855 Type. If John reads this I think he will know what I am talking about.

R. McAuley 3014V
10-11-2014, 10:43 PM
I have a barrel. It is marked at the breech R. A. HOYT, .578, 1-56, 0024. It has 8 grooves with a thick wall. It is 33.5 OAL with a welded bayonet lug 29.5 inches from the rear of the barrel. While at the Nationals this fall I paid a visit to the S.A.C. office where they bent over backwards to supply me with build information for the 1855 Type 1 riffle. I was given the spec. sheet and additional information to help with the project that would of, working on my own, taken me months to put together. I only hope that the members of the NSSA realize what a prime resource the S.A.C. is. We would be in a true world of hurt without it!

My mind prying is two fold. What information can you give me about the barrel, age, possible breech manufacturer, and any other information? The other question I have is for the S.A.C.. The build sheet gives no +/- Tol. for the bayonet lug other than a dimension of 29. What light are you able to shed on this?

Thanks in advance for any information that you can give me as this project is very special and goes further than just another 1855 Type. If John reads this I think he will know what I am talking about.

Dave,

As far as how old the barrel is, you need only ask Bobby Hoyt (R.A. Hoyt). He's usually at his sutler store at the National, or you might catch him at home. His phone number has been posted here several times, so just make a search for "hoyt" should help to find it fairly easy or someone else here may elect to post it. As far as any tolerance for the placement of the bayonet lug, if you are not planning to ever affix a sword bayonet to the rifle, it doesn't much matter. If you do wish to affix a bayonet, there is not really much in the way of tolerance. You really need to own the bayonet to determine what, if any, tolerance there might be? I shoot a '55 Rifle (Type V, iron-mtd) built by Rick Pizzatola (29th Wisconsin), which unless you have $600-$800 to pay out for an original '55 sword bayonet and scabbard, you are probably not going to be much interested in sticking its point into the ground when for about $35 you can buy a cheap repop Zouave bayonet (at the National) that will fit your rifle and is perfectly fine for sticking in the ground, especially the hard gravel at the National. Per the SAC spec sheet, you have a half inch tolerance for the barrel length, and a full inch tolerance for the overall length. If your barrel is 33.5 and the lug is at 29.5, you need only insure the bayonet fits the barrel and locks into the lug. If it doesn't, then you might have a problem.

John Holland
10-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Dave,

The SAC will accept your bayonet lug at 29.5". I know what happened: Mr. Hoyt left the barrel 0.5" over length for potential crowning in the future, not a bad idea, but then he measured the bayonet lug position from the front of the barrel instead of the back end of the barrel. That put the lug 0.5" too far forward. Although it is in the correct position from the muzzle to mount a bayonet, once the barrel is crowned it will be too far forward and will look odd at best. We have had this conversation numerous times with Mr. Hoyt regarding measuring from the back edge of the barrel forward, but every once in a while he reverts to the old method of front to back and when the barrel is over length you get a front sight, or bayonet lug, out of position. If the front sight were 0.5" too far forward we would require you to move it back as that is considered to be a "shooter advantage".

As for your other questions about age, etc., Richard's advice is correct, you will have to contact Mr. Hoyt.

Thank you for the complements regarding the Small Arms Committee. They are much appreciated by those SAC Inspectors who give freely of their precious time to help the membership. They get nothing for their services other than the appreciation of the membership, and the kind words from fine people like yourself. I am happy that your visit to the SAC Office was a pleasant one, and good luck with your project!

John Holland
Chairman, SAC

Dave Howard
10-12-2014, 07:36 PM
Thank you John for your insight about my project. I had mentioned it to you at the nationals and you understood quickly about our mutual friend, Bob H., who started this project and how I will be the one that finishes it. Thanks again for the service that you and all your S.A.C. staff provide. All input is always appreciated and respected because after all, it is what we would call "The Right Stuff".

Curt
10-12-2014, 11:22 PM
Hallo!

Just a passing thought...

If the lug is just soldered on, it could be unsoldered and relocated? If dovetailed and soldered, not so much.

Curt