PDA

View Full Version : need 1842 smoothbore barrel

chuck p
10-11-2014, 05:06 PM
as the title states, i am in need of an 1842 barrel to build a macon conversion,...can be original or repro,...let me know whatcha got, and whatcha need for it, and of course if you're interested in any trades,...got lotsa stuff,..hehe

thanks
chuck p
29th WVI

Daniel Whitacre
12-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Can make one up for $350.00. It will fit an original stock and have a .687 bore. It is not the conversion type but it has a bolster like the 1842 rifle.

Maillemaker
12-08-2014, 10:03 AM
I've got a Whitacre barrel in my Euroarms P1853 Enfield and it is fantastic. I highly recommend his work.

Steve

bobanderson
12-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Go to Taylor's & Co in Winchester. They sell all of the Armi Sport/Chiappa Arms firearms AND spare parts.

I bought a brand new 1842 barrel for about $225, took it home and cut and crowned it myself.
One word of caution. I've seen three cut down Macons made from Italian barrels and they all did not have the bore dead center in the muzzle
where they were cut down. My first Macon was thicker at 9 o'clock and so shot about 1" right at 25 yards. The one I just did is thicker at about 1 o'clock
so I think this means it may shoot a hair low, but we'll see.

If you buy one made by Dan, I'm sure it will be dead center.

Another point, the Armi Sport barrels are .690", Hoyt and Whitacre barrels are .687". It could make a difference if you already have your moulds.

Good luck. If I hadn't had a brain dead moment, I would have never sold my first one.

chuck p
12-09-2014, 03:46 PM
hey guys,
thanks for all your replies,..i'm happy to say, i found an original thats been cut down, so now i can built my palmetto/macon conversion.

thanks
chuck