PDA

View Full Version : Zulu Shotgun

dhaze
10-09-2014, 06:09 AM
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea what kind of BP charge and shot loads I might try in a Zulu 12 gauge?

Thanks
David

Muley Gil
10-09-2014, 06:25 AM
Modern shotgun loads are dram equivalent. A dram is 27 grams (IIRC). IF your Zulu is in good, sound shooting condition, I would start with 2 drams (54 grains) of FFg black powder and 1 oz of #6 shot for a decent squirrel or rabbit load.

dhaze
10-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Modern shotgun loads are dram equivalent. A dram is 27 grams (IIRC). IF your Zulu is in good, sound shooting condition, I would start with 2 drams (54 grains) of FFg black powder and 1 oz of #6 shot for a decent squirrel or rabbit load.

Thanks for the reply............

I was thinking about starting around 50 grains so we are close at least in thought. Also, could it be possible to load shotgun shells with a round ball? Say .715 or so depending on the bore diameter.

David

John Holland
10-09-2014, 03:27 PM
What you would be recreating is the old time "Punkin' Ball" cartridge! Just remember the "Zulu" breech system isn't very robust.

Just out of curiosity, is your barrel marked "Zulu"?

JDH

dhaze
10-09-2014, 05:25 PM
What you would be recreating is the old time "Punkin' Ball" cartridge! Just remember the "Zulu" breech system isn't very robust.

Just out of curiosity, is your barrel marked "Zulu"?

JDH

John,
The barrel has some small print on the top right in front of the breach but I can't make it out. Barrel and tang both have a small diamond stamped on them and side of barrel has a stamp, an E with LG below it inside an oval. Some french writing on the lock plate "Mre (something) La Tulle

Muley Gil
10-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Sounds like it was Belgian made.

Don Dixon
10-10-2014, 07:56 AM
The E LG, Oval, proof mark is the period Belgian proof mark. i wouldn't put much faith in a Belgian conversion proofed that long ago, however.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V

dhaze
10-10-2014, 03:22 PM
I never really thought about an old collection for the Den wall but I guess I'll start with the "Zulu".
Once I got into it and started cleaning the bore I'm pulling a lot of rust out of it and pitting is worse than I thought. So, for $60 and a tin of #11 percussion caps.............better safe than sorry.

Thanks for all the info guys
David

R. McAuley 3014V
10-11-2014, 11:33 PM
The Liege makers considered the British proofing system "too severe", which was generally why Liege makers went to such lengths to forge British proof marks on Belgian muskets made for export, thinking buyers might be fooled into believing a gun was British made. Liege makers used two marks, the first, what some people think looks like a torch or capital letter "I" or Arabic numeral "1" is the Liege mercat (market) cross, only means the gun was provisionally "set-up", while the EG oval mark indicates a barrel was submitted for proof and passed. Although Belgian law required guns to be twice proved, this was not strictly adhered to by many Liege makers, or when it was done, lower proofing charges were used to bolster a barrel's chance of passing the test.

"A gun made in Birmingham may be proved in London, and a foreign-made gun may bear the Birmingham or the London Proof Mark. It is contended therefore that the Proof Mark is not an indication of origin, but a test made at a certain place. For although English, Belgian, and German Proof Marks frank guns of English, Belgian, and German manufacture in all three countries, a gun of English manufacture bearing a Belgian or German Proof Mark only is an “unproved” gun, if offered for sale in England as an English gun." --[ William Greener (1858) Gunnery in 1858: Being a Treatise on Rifles, Cannon, and Sporting Arms]