PDA

View Full Version : Advice on m1841 Mississippi barrel?

kb466
10-03-2014, 11:56 AM
As noted in my earlier post, I am gathering parts to build a Mississippi Rifle. I have decided to use original parts for the most part, the exceptions being a Dunlap stock, which I plan to order, and a new barrel. I am wondering if someone can give me advice on where to obtain a good barrel? I prefer .54 caliber with original configuration rifling, etc. it is important that it shoot well and accurately resemble an original. I have considered a Hoyt barrel as well as a Whitacre barrel. Should I look at any of the Italian barrels?...or reject them out of hand? Any advice will be appreciated!
Also I'm still looking for parts-- particularly a nice original lock and trigger assembly. Thanks!
Bill M.
kb466@hotmail.com

Curt
10-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Hallo!

Just a quick passing comment...

Things may depend upon whether your stock is pre-inlet for an original barrel or an Italian barrel.

Over the decades, the various Italian companies now evolved into Armi Sport and the now defunct Euroarms have not copied the exact dimensions or taper profile of the original M1841 rifle barrel. And it appears that over the decades since the 1960's, the Italian barrels have grown heavier and more "bulky."

Curt

kb466
10-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the advice. It is important to me that the barrel I use duplicate the original contour weight, etc of the original m1841. That is why I am using a Dunlap stock as it is reportedly meant for original parts and it is American walnut, not some "mystery wood". I am leaning towards a Whitacre or Hoyt barrel on the assumption I can get a barrel from one of them in original .54 caliber with original configuration rifling and twist, as well as original contours. I have happily used their barrels in previous builds and have been very happy with them, but have had no experience with their Mississippi barrels.
Bill M.

Hallo!

Just a quick passing comment...

Things may depend upon whether your stock is pre-inlet for an original barrel or an Italian barrel.

Over the decades, the various Italian companies now evolved into Armi Sport and the now defunct Euroarms have not copied the exact dimensions or taper profile of the original M1841 rifle barrel. And it appears that over the decades since the 1960's, the Italian barrels have grown heavier and more "bulky."

Curt

Blair
10-04-2014, 03:48 PM
kb466,

I would suggest you check with either Bob Hoyt or Dan Whitacre.
Either of them can turn a barrel that fit the stock you have.
Dunlap stocks require some inletting for any barrel. Just tell Bob or Dan what you want. They may ask you to take measurements from various areas of the barrel you have to get the fit right for the stock you have.
My best,
Blair

John Bly
10-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Just so you know, Dan Whitacre does not make a .54 caliber barrel and the only twist Dan can cut is 1 turn in 72". For the .54 Mississippi barrels he sells he gets the blanks from Hoyt. Hoyt can make a round bottom 7 groove .54 barrel the same specs as the original barrel. But Dan can get the blank from Hoyt and turn it for you. Your choice of vendors but you get the same barrel.

kb466
10-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks. That is the information I have been looking for. Looks like I need to talk to Dan Whitacre or Bob Hoyt about getting a barrel. Thanks.
Bill M.

Dave Fox
10-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Thanks. That is the information I have been looking for. Looks like I need to talk to Dan Whitacre or Bob Hoyt about getting a barrel. Thanks.
Bill M.

Observation: as you likely are already already aware, the original Mississippi rifling was of a depth and at a pitch to stabilize a patched round ball. If you are seeking optimal accuracy with a minie, this configuration is problematical. I'm blessed to have an original Harpers Ferry .54 Mississippi which is uncannily accurate with minies. Someone has told me this is a hit-or-miss, minority capacity.

kb466
10-06-2014, 11:55 PM
Thanks for that bit of info. I was planning to shoot it with a patched round ball, and maybe try out some minie loads as well. Hopefully, it will shoot well with both, though I know that is probably wishful thinking on my part.
Bill M.

Observation: as you likely are already already aware, the original Mississippi rifling was of a depth and at a pitch to stabilize a patched round ball. If you are seeking optimal accuracy with a minie, this configuration is problematical. I'm blessed to have an original Harpers Ferry .54 Mississippi which is uncannily accurate with minies. Someone has told me this is a hit-or-miss, minority capacity.