PDA

View Full Version : single shot rifle.

rampa_room_artillery
05-10-2008, 07:42 PM
I an a little fuzzy on the def. on the single shot class. does a smith and a sharps qualify?? if not, what does?? just curious.

rick bryan
3rd va. ODD

Jim_Burgess_2078V
05-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Rick, I can appreciate your confusion. The single-shot class seems to be an outgrowth of breechloader competition for those who don't want to shoot repeaters. There are a number of inconsistencies as to what is permissible. You can shoot a Spencer carbine in the repeater class and a Ballard carbine in the single-shot class but breechloader competition is mostly for cartridge rifles. You may shoot an externally primed percussion Sharps rifle in the single-shot class but a Sharps carbine (and a Smith) can only be used in carbine matches. Those 1st Model Maynards with fancy tang sights would seem another arm suitable for the single-shot class but they too are considered carbines for carbine competition only.

I would prefer to see Sharps rifles classified separately from the other cartridge breechloaders only so I could shoot individuals at the Nationals with both my Henry and Sharps.
-Jim Burgess, 15th Conn. Vol. Inf.

RangerFrog
05-12-2008, 11:38 PM
So a musket length Ballard would be eligible when converted to CF, but a carbine length Ballard would not? :?: Is there an event in which I could use the carbine when converted to CF? How about if I leave it percussion; could I then shoot it against the Maynards, Smiths, et al?

RangerFrog

Minieball577
05-12-2008, 11:42 PM
There was a thread about a similar topic not too long ago. You may find your answer there.
http://n-ssa.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8763

Bruce Cobb 1723V
05-19-2008, 06:42 PM
This may be a little simplified, but here we go. The classes are arranged by similar arms. Henry's shoot against similar Civil War rim fire repeaters, Balls, Spencers and Triplett & Scotts. The other Class is for all of the rest of the numerous single shot rim fire and percussion firearms such as The Sharps Rifle, Ballards, Frank Wessons, Remington Spit Breeches, Greenes and Warners.

triplet

Edwin Flint, 8427
05-20-2008, 04:44 PM
The Class is Breechloading Rifle\Carbine II. This Match allows all internally primed CW rifles and carbines to compete against each other rather than the muzzle loaded and externally primed firearms. The one exception is the Sharps Rifle, not the Carbine.

This class evolved essentially into a Henry Match because of the firepower advantage the Henry repeater provides. Spencers, Ballards, Sharps, etc. can compete in this class, it is just that they will not be very competitive due to the technology edge the repeaters have.

Folks complained that their wonderful single shot carbines and rifles were being left behind and wanted a class that they could compete in and have a chance to win. As such, the Board developed the SS Breechloader Rifle/Carbine II sub class. No Repeaters allowed. As such, Spencers and Henrys (and any other repeaters out there) compete against other repeaters and the SS rifles and Carbines compete against other SS rifles and carbines. All CW era Ballards qualify in the SS sub class as well as other SS internally primed CW era rifles and Carbines. (The Sharps Rifle was put here also as it is the best place for it.)

Carbines (Smiths Maynards etc) are Carbine I Class weapons. They are not eligible for Class II Carbine/Breechloading Rifle Class competitions.

Hope this helps.