PDA

View Full Version : Hy Hunter Zouave

threepdr
07-06-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find a reference to them when I run a search.

Is the Hy Hunter Zouave an approved arm? Can't find it in the approved arms list. If not, what is the problem with the rifles.

I may have the chance to pick one up at a good price, so just doing my research before a purchase

Thanks

Ken Hansgen, 11094
07-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Mark, It isn't on the list, but don't know why.

Chris Sweeney
07-06-2009, 09:54 PM
The reason they are no longer approved is that the bolsters on some of them were brazed, and apparently had at least the potential, if not the habit of imbedding themselves in the shooter to your right!

IF THE GOOD PRICE allows enough room for a new barrel go for it! I'm not sure who made the rst of the gun (Zoli??)

John Holland
07-07-2009, 12:41 AM
The only "Hy-Hunter" Zouave allowable is the one that also has a 33" barrel made by "Antonio Zoli". The first batch of "Hy-Hunter" Zouaves had bolsters that were brazed to the barrels, which the N-SSA refused to allow. The second batch delivered had barrels marked "A. Zoli", that were permissible to use, by virtue of having been made with a solid bolster. So, look at the barrel marks very closely before making a decision.

John Holland
Chairman, SAC

threepdr
07-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks John,

It did not have a Zoli barrel, so I passed.

THanks again

GJames
09-23-2009, 10:09 PM
The Hy Hunter "Zouves" were first offered about 45 years ago, give or take a couple of years. I had one--it was my first replica Civil War rifle. As I remember it sold new for around $89. I believe at the time, in fact the "Zouave" was the only replica longarms out there. I know it was Italian-made, but don't recollect by whom. I do remember that I shot the heck out of it and it gave me good service and good accuracy. Hy Hunter was an early antique arms dealer in the Los Angeles area. Had a store in which the ceiling was festooned with Saturday Night Specials. The company, sans his participation, kept going until at least the 1970s, mainly as an importer of gaudy Single Action Army replicas.

John Holland
09-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Yep, that's where mine came from in June 1963. I still have the Zouave, which is beautifully made and still shoots well, all the paperwork, and the original invoice for $49.95. That was a lot of baby-sitting money at $0.25 an hour! I won my first Musket Match Gold Medal with it in September, 1963. Three years later when the N-SSA said I could no longer use it, I bought a Bill Large barrel for an original 3 band '61 and never looked back!

JDH