PDA

View Full Version : Whitacre .577 barrels...

CAGerringer
09-06-2014, 10:53 AM
I've got a semi-new .577 barrel from Mr. Whitacre. I've tried 6 or 7 different bullets with a plethora of different loads, and have never gotten anything better than a mediocre grouping. This is off a bench where you should expect better. All bullets were sized to .576.

I've come to the conclusion that I need the barrel miked to see if that .577 is as advertised. Is there a Sutler at Nationals that can provide an accurate measurement of the interior diameter of my barrel?

Thanks,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

jonk
09-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Well first, I'm sure if you took it to Whitacre, they'd be happy to measure it for you.

That said, the easiest way is using a plug gauge; I got a whole set from .500 to .600 from fleabay for $120, in .001 increments. Well worth having, will cover any musket I get ever. Just gently see if the gauge slides in; when you get to one that doesn't, back off and try sizing 1-2/1000 under that.

If you don't have it, get a bullet that's bigger than you need and gently tap it into the muzzle skirt first. Then use a pair of pliers to pull it out by the nose and measure the result.

Or, you could pull the barrel and plug, and push an oversized lead slug through, but that's more trouble than its worth unless you're already pulling the plug for something.

FWIW, I have a Hoyt barrel that's stamped .578 and really, I have to size to .578 as it's .580 or so. So even good companies can get them slightly off spec.

If you don't get anyone who can do it, give me a shout; we're hosting so I'm not sure yet if I'll be there the weekend of or the weekend before, but if I'm there the weekend of the matches, I'll be happy to bring my plug gauges.

Blair
09-06-2014, 03:05 PM
CAGerringer,

Have you considered talking to Dan Whitacer about it?
I have never known him not to back up any of his work 100%.
My best,
Blair

jonk
09-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Another thought; I'm presuming you've tried different bullets, charges, powders, made sure that barrel isn't binding on the wood/bands, possibly bedded at least the breech area, etc.?

ms3635v
09-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Dan stamps the bore size on the bottom of the barrel next to the serial number.

tmont
09-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Hi, Charlie.
I have a .577 Whitacre barrel on my 3-band Springfield, glass bedded entire barrel length.
Experimented with many bullets/lubes/charges.
Barrel seems to like 315gr Lyman (melted Alox lube) or Rapine (MCM lube) wadcutters with 40 grains 3F Goex, both sized .576.
You might give these a try if you have not already, although your charge may vary a bit.
And do not hesitate to give Dan a call, he is great to work with.