PDA

View Full Version : Bird shot load in the barrel

B-Davis
09-04-2014, 07:36 PM
I know many shooters here have seen original firearms with something down the bore. Today was a first for me. I was cleaning out the bore of a Plymouth rifle I had just purchased. I could get air and water through the barrel, but for the life of me I could not figure out why I could not get the cleaning jag down the last two inches of the barrel. I tried a bore brush and the brush went down, but came out looking like an upside down Christmas tree! What the?!? So... I turned the barrel upside down and out came some lead BB's! It turned out there was an original load of birdshot! I he'd a scraper and I must have pulled out about 2 oz of bird shot! What a pain to get out! I am surprised it was being used as a shot gun because the barrel had not been bored out.
What I find odd is the previous owner said he fired the rifle several times with .685 round ball. I would like to know how! I had to heat the bolster to remove the nipple. The nipple was also clogged. Me thinks I met a liar...
The rifling looks alright, there is some pitting, but not horrible. I can not wait to finish fixing this rifle to try it out. It will be several months though before I get a chance:mad:
Hopefully it will be a good shooter!
Bryan Davis

bilge water bob
09-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Could be the shot was left overs just stuck in the residue on the breech face and you loosened it. I bought a razeed Richmond here on the board and pulled 3 minie ball skirts out of it, kinda scarey what folks put down the barrel.