PDA

View Full Version : Converting Frank Wesson to CF

jonk
08-29-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm really thinking of getting one of these, and doing a CF conversion, then sending off to Hoyt for a reline to whatever caliber he thinks is most suitable- but perhaps 44 special or 44 russian, to avoid stiff charges and the use of fillers, or 44/40 for convenience. Might also depend on bore condition and if it needs to be relined at all or not.

Obviously, seeing it and taking the breech down will tell me a lot, but has anyone done a CF conversion? What was involved?

efritz
08-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Approx. 4 years ago sent mine out to Rich Schoenberger. I forget the price but it was about the going price for what things costs these days. He's much much quicker than Hoyt. Anyhow, I had it chambered for 44-40 cause like you said, convenience sake. He put a spike on the hammer, 3# trigger, and same twist as a Henry. Found a nice silhouette bullet that shoots real well. I use nickel cartridges. They come out better than brass. Easiest gun to clean and kinda fun too. Only draw back. It's a hard gun to shoot because it is sooooooo light. I use it for 100yd. Use the Ballard for 50yd. I'm working on another Ballard to shoot at 100yd. If I ever get it going I'll sell the Wesson.

jonk
09-02-2014, 04:11 PM
So... I just won one off of GB. Will have a look at the bore. IF it doesn't need relining, Question: it would appear that both the .41 mag and .44/40 have a good chance of fitting this chamber with no mods, and fireforming (trimming may be needed of course). Anyone go this route?

efritz
09-02-2014, 05:05 PM
You may be right about the 41 mag. I don't think the 44-40 will fit right. But you will need to find a bullet that fits in a 41 mag case and still fit down a 44 barrel. No small task. Something with a gas check perhaps. If you buy a bullet with it on, take it off. If you buy a mould, just don't put one on. True the mag case will have to be trimmed. Check the rules but you may be able to go up one caliber if you reline it. It escapes me at the moment on which gun that rule applies. Good luck. Have fun.

Regards
Eric

jonk
09-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Well after fireforming and possibly neck reaming the trimmed .41 mag cases, we could see what there is to see. I won't trust the specs on the .44 round, given the age of the gun, I'll make a cerrosafe chamber cast and measure from there.

OTOH, Buffaloarms supplies CF .44 henry brass, so while not the cheapest round, once I got the brass it would last pretty much forever. $1.10 a case if you get 50 or more, I'd probably get 20 to try, then if it worked, 100 more. Should be a lifetime supply if I anneal. They also have the proper (CF) original chamber henry dies, though whether I'd bother or not or just get a neck sizer, I don't know.

John Holland
09-02-2014, 06:59 PM
A .44-40 will not chamber in a .44 Wesson. The Wesson chamber will have to be reamed with a .44-40 chamber reamer. Now, here is the problem: The Wesson Carbine suffers from very poor quality control in bore size, and some bores will not accept the pilot on the reamer. On the plus side the average bore size is .425, which will shoot very well with an original .44 WCF bullet, which is .427". Don't discount the bore condition without actually shooting it first. The one my wife shoots has the original bore, but was re-chambered to .44-40. The bullet she uses is from an original Winchester .44 WCF mould and is used just as it comes out of the mould at .427", with 21 gr 3FFF Goex, and cornmeal filler to compress the load. The lube is a home made concoction of beeswax & Crisco. The bullets are hand dipped, and again not sized. This Wesson has consistent 10 ring capability with this combination.

Hope this helps!

JDH

jonk
09-02-2014, 09:43 PM
A .44-40 will not chamber in a .44 Wesson. The Wesson chamber will have to be reamed with a .44-40 chamber reamer. Now, here is the problem: The Wesson Carbine suffers from very poor quality control in bore size, and some bores will not accept the pilot on the reamer. On the plus side the average bore size is .425, which will shoot very well with an original .44 WCF bullet, which is .427". Don't discount the bore condition without actually shooting it first. The one my wife shoots has the original bore, but was re-chambered to .44-40. The bullet she uses is from an original Winchester .44 WCF mould and is used just as it comes out of the mould at .427", with 21 gr 3FFF Goex, and cornmeal filler to compress the load. The lube is a home made concoction of beeswax & Crisco. The bullets are hand dipped, and again not sized. This Wesson has consistent 10 ring capability with this combination.

Hope this helps!

JDH

Thanks John. Further question: Is the .44 Wesson you reference the same as the .44 Henry, aka the .44 Rimfire? Or did the Wesson use its own proprietary unique round, similar to but just a smidge different than the Henry?

Muley Gil
09-03-2014, 08:50 AM
My copy of Cartridges of the World shows the .44 Long (rimfire) being used in the Wesson rifle, among others. It is a different round from the .44 Henry Flat, but doesn't give any case measurements.

jonk
09-03-2014, 09:22 AM
My copy of Cartridges of the World shows the .44 Long (rimfire) being used in the Wesson rifle, among others. It is a different round from the .44 Henry Flat, but doesn't give any case measurements.

Thanks Muley. A chamber cast will tell us a lot more, and whether an existing case or modified existing case can be made to work.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
09-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Jonk, Sorry I don't look alot at my PM,s as much as I should. All I would say has been said here. I can only add that Lee has a pointed bullet in .41 caliber gas check that works in some barrels. Like what been said before, they vary from one to another. Good luck.

Navy Shooter
01-17-2015, 05:40 PM

Hope this helps!

JDH

I don't shoot N-SSA, but do shoot a .38 Wesson. Can you tell me what size the 10 ring is, and what distance the Wesson has the 10 ring capability? I'm assuming you're talking 50 yards. Also, is this open sights, peep sight, or scope?

Thanks,
Navy