PDA

View Full Version : Barrell band moving problem.

Steve Weems
08-19-2014, 04:20 PM
This weekend while shooting my original P1853 Enfield 3 band I noticed the rear band was moving forward slightly as the shooting
session went on. I tightened it a couple times with just the screw. The other two bands are Ok. Would like suggestions on how to
tighten this band up. Seems like I've heard things like using paper to wedge them up or using some of the more common bedding compounds.
Of course maybe a little Locktite might do the trick.

jonk
08-19-2014, 05:17 PM
I had this issue with my 2 band repro. What you have to find out before you do anything is, whether the screw is loosening (and so some loctite would work) or whether the wood is shrunken and the band can't tension enough. Simple test: tighten the screw to the point you normally would like it, then grab the band and shake it a bit. If it doesn't move, the screw is getting loose. If it does, then I think either a paper or very thin wood shim would solve your issues. You would have to find where it's loose- sides, bottom, or top, and shim accordingly, but that's easy enough to see on close visual inspection in bright light.

Eggman
08-19-2014, 05:31 PM
This weekend while shooting my original P1853 Enfield 3 band I noticed the rear band was moving forward slightly as the shooting
session went on. I tightened it a couple times with just the screw. The other two bands are Ok. Would like suggestions on how to
tighten this band up. Seems like I've heard things like using paper to wedge them up or using some of the more common bedding compounds.
Of course maybe a little Locktite might do the trick.
Place the gun with the band positioned on a hard wooden surface and then strike the band sharply on top with a #6 hammer.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
08-19-2014, 05:33 PM
Steve,

Even though it's a 2 bander, you might not really want that middle band tight. I shoot a Mississippi, and bench shooting tells me that my gun does not like a tight middle barrel band. Just something you might want to check out when you have the time.

Greg Ogdan

John Holland
08-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Steve, it is as simple as a strip of masking tape inside the band. Not permanent, easily added to, taken away, etc.
JDH

Rob FreemanWBR
08-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Ditto John Holland -

I had a loose middle band on my Fayetteville. Filled in the "slop" with two small strips of duct tape. Cheap, fast and can always be undone if needed.

Steve Weems
08-20-2014, 10:42 AM
When I tighten the band screw it holds very well so I will first try the Loctite and then test with a few volleys to see if it holds. If not then I will
try one of the paper/tape suggestions to fix the problem.
Thanks for all the suggestions.