PDA

View Full Version : Barrel bedding material.

jek279
08-17-2014, 04:25 PM
I have read many things can be used for bedding material. Fiberglass, epoxy, etc. what about using wood filler? I know it is not a first choice, but has anyone tried it and why wouldn't it work?

Rebel Dave
08-17-2014, 04:44 PM
I havn't tried that. It might not hold up to constant back pressure (mechanical) from shooting, and I'm pretty sure it would not hold up to oils, and different cleaning chemicals. Be safe, use a product made for bedding barrels. I use "Brownells Acra-Glass Gell" bedding kit, the one in the green box. The kit costs about $25.00. It works good for me. I also use Brownells spray release agent, it is an excellent product. Their are other bedding kits available, also.
Why take the chance of ruining a good bedding job, on a stock you probably have a lot of work in.

Rebel Dave

jek279
08-17-2014, 05:19 PM
I have worked in the wood furniture arena, so here is a thought. To do repairs, we use saw dust and glue such as hide glue in a mix. This bond becomes stronger than wood itself. I have glued oak boards together and tested the boards joint after several days of drying only to have the board split and not the joint. So why wouldn't you sand and clean the barrel channel at the breech, and then apply the mixture and set the barrel. This would be about $5 vs. $25.

Mike McDaniel
08-17-2014, 07:55 PM
FWIW, the sawdust and animal glue technique is historically how it was done.

jek279
08-17-2014, 08:22 PM
So, has anyone tried it?

Don Dixon
08-17-2014, 09:06 PM
For long arms that are used in MLAIC international competitions, it is the only technique that is permitted; modern fiberglass based systems definitely are not. Some of the U.S. International Muzzle Loading Team members who have bedded their long guns using wood fiber and hide glue may wish to weigh in regarding how they used it.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V