PDA

View Full Version : Lead Pot issue

ken stiles, 0526V
08-16-2014, 08:31 AM
I have a Lyman Pot which is not heating up enough to melt the lead.
I've taken it apart and tried to fix it. No change.

Any suggestions or steps to take with the internal parts/wires? Step by step instructions are welcome!!!!
Thanks much

Ron/The Old Reb
08-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Ken

Give Lyman a call. You can get there phone number on their web page. It's more than likely the heating coil or the thermostat has gone bad. I have called them several times about problems with one of there products and they have been very helpful with fixing it. A very good company to deal with.

Rebel Dave
08-16-2014, 12:25 PM
My 30yr old Lyman Mag 20 started acting up, not getting hot enough to cast good mines, and such. I called Lyman, and they said they would repair it for me, for $75.00. I sent it in, and got it back within 2 weeks works like new again. Give them a call, they'll fix it right. I don't think they will sell you the parts to fix/tinker with it yourself. I think its their policy.

Rebel Dave

Southron Sr.
07-03-2016, 12:52 AM
Back in 1991 I purchased a 25 Pound Lyman Electric Lead Pot. It gave me faithful service until around
2002 when it "died."

I sent it back to Lyman, and UPS dropped my Lyman Lead Pot off back at my house about two weeks later. It was fixed, "as good as new" and THERE WAS NO CHARGE-they fixed it for FREE! I was soon happily casting Minie Balls again.

Then in 2014, thAT lead pot "gave up the ghost again" and I sent it back to Lyman. Sure enough, UPS dropped off the repaired pot at my front door two weeks later and again, THERE WAS NO CHARGE!!! Again it was fixed for FREE!!!

It now works wonderfully again.

So my advice to you is to send your Lyman Lead Pot to Lyman and they will fix it for you!

LYMAN'S CUSTOMER SERVICE IS OUTSTANDING...AH LUV THEM!!!!

Plus, IF you need a Lead Pot, buy one from Lyman because of their excellent Customer Service!

pastore
07-03-2016, 10:03 AM
Back in 1991 I purchased a 25 Pound Lyman Electric Lead Pot. It gave me faithful service until around
2002 when it "died."

I sent it back to Lyman, and UPS dropped my Lyman Lead Pot off back at my house about two weeks later. It was fixed, "as good as new" and THERE WAS NO CHARGE-they fixed it for FREE! I was soon happily casting Minie Balls again.

Then in 2014, thAT lead pot "gave up the ghost again" and I sent it back to Lyman. Sure enough, UPS dropped off the repaired pot at my front door two weeks later and again, THERE WAS NO CHARGE!!! Again it was fixed for FREE!!!

It now works wonderfully again.

So my advice to you is to send your Lyman Lead Pot to Lyman and they will fix it for you!

LYMAN'S CUSTOMER SERVICE IS OUTSTANDING...AH LUV THEM!!!!

Plus, IF you need a Lead Pot, buy one from Lyman because of their excellent Customer Service!

I sent mine back last year for repair. $49

Ron/The Old Reb
07-03-2016, 10:47 AM
"I sent mine back last year for repair. $49"

Still ​cheaper then a new one.
Great company to deal with.

pastore
07-03-2016, 12:51 PM
"I sent mine back last year for repair. $49"

Still ​cheaper then a new one.
Great company to deal with.
I agree completely. I also bought one of the new Mag 25 pots because I didn't know how long the repair would take. Nice !

Jim Barber
07-04-2016, 05:51 PM
If you haven't sent it back yet, you may be able to fix it. I had the same problem-- just never got hot enough. Lyman tech support walked me through tweaking the temp control. Grab an eyeglass screwdriver, pull off the black temp knob and you'll see a tiny setscrew. Turn that in or out til you get it where it ought to be. Not surprisingly, I forget which way is hotter and which way cooler, so some experimentation will be necessary. I actually had to re-adjust mine 'cause I'd set it so it would get hotter than hades. Now, I got it where 7 on the scale is roughly 750 degrees.

Agree with previous comments-- great company to work with!

Cheers
Jim Barber
110th OVI
Grove City, OH