PDA

View Full Version : Ok to glass bed a smoothbore?

jonk
08-12-2014, 08:57 PM
I have a potsdam that the stock is pretty chewed up on... I had to do a lot of gluing anyhow, and things seem stable. However... I can also see that there's no support of the breech/bolster area by the wood in any real way, and the recoil against the tang screw has caused it to loosen up, and I had a correspondingly bad skirmish with it. For this season I'm just going to finish by making sure that screw is tight, but is it permissible to bed a smoothie? I'd just want to do the bolster and breech area, and possibly around the front band area to take up some of the shrinkage age has caused. That way if the bedding causes any change in point of impact, I still have space to bend the middle.

John Bly
08-13-2014, 08:06 AM
Go ahead and glass bed that smoothbore. You can't change the sights but bedding is certainly allowed. Do the breech area and about 2" of the barrel. If you need to bend the barrel to get it sighted in then glass bed the rest of it after bending the barrel.

Rich Foster
08-13-2014, 11:06 PM
Jonk, I second what John said. That is the way it should be done If your barrel needs to be bent to move point of impact. Rich

jonk
11-23-2017, 02:29 AM
Resurrecting an old thread... I bedded the Potsdam from the tang to about 6" forward of the lock, and around the front band.

Had the best season so far with it having done so. Even beat our anchor guy who is our crack shot at nationals. :) (to be fair, he was having an 'off' day, and the season total, I was still about ten seconds behind him and his H&P).

Still, bedding took it from a 60 second hit time average to a low 40s average, with low 30s on a good day!