PDA

View Full Version : Original gallager questions

ian45662
07-23-2014, 06:56 AM
I picked up an orig gallager carbine and it needs a re line. I called mr Hoyt and asked him about converting to be able to take plastic smith cases. He told me he didn't really want to do that but he would re line it to 50 cal so that I could use my smith bullets. I agreed to that and sent the thing off a couple days ago. Anyone here have theirs converted? My question is how many of you out there have had your gallagers converted. How are they using the brass cases? I would rather keep it the way it is but if the plastic smith cases are a lot better in them I may just call him back and tell him I would rather go that route.

Mike w/ 34th
07-30-2014, 11:23 AM
I have been told point blank that converting a Gallager to use Smith tubes is not an approved conversion in the N-SSA. So there's a compelling reason not to change what it's chambered for.

The other thing to consider, the brass cases need a bullet that's about .513 or a little smaller. I got my Erma relined to .515 to use a bullet I already had, and I had to ream all my brass. Haven't decided yet if it was worth the effort.