PDA

View Full Version : Original P53 ramrod thread size ??

Steve Weems
07-02-2014, 03:08 PM
I have an Original P1853 Enfield ramrod that I am trying to get a worm for. Looks like a 12-?.
Anyone out there know the exact thread pitch? Is there a source for repro worms?

Thanks for any help on this--Steve

Curt
07-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Hallo!

A hard done.

By and large, IMHO, it will come down to something like this...

It will depend upon which "type" of P1853 Enfield you have in hand. In brief.... the Enfield began to be standardized with interchangeable parts with the Government made Royal Small Arms Factory (RSAF) 4th Models (not used in the CW) . So, it is a roll of the dice, and may be loaded die, if one has the Birmingham Small Arms Trade (BSAT) 3rd Models used in the Civil War or may be London commercial Enfields too.

BSAT 3rd Models were made by a number of firms, and their parts did not NUG interchange.

Ideally then. IIRC, the commonly found threads on 4th Model Enfields was a pitch of 26 & 1/3 which is something like a 10 X 29 UNC (Uniform Coarse).

My best advise is to take the ramrod to a gun show where original parts dealers set up, and physically try a bunch from the box until one hopefully fits.

You could recut the originals to say 10 x 24, but that raises the issue of damaging an original, etc.

Historically, it is hard or harder because the worm or wiper was issued as a removable part of the various patterns of Privates and Sergeants combination "T" and "Y" tools.

Curt

Steve Weems
07-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Curt--Thanks for the input ---The ramrod appears to be original to my Brit Army 3 band P1853.I've had it relined and installed a tall front sight.
Since I use it as my skirmish gun retreading the ramrod should not do any harm. My thread checker puts it at a 12 size but the threads are worn and
I can not tell the pitch. By the way it is an L.A. Co. 1862 manufacture.