PDA

View Full Version : question on a 1821 smoothbore

MR. GADGET
06-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Had someone show up at the shop the other day and this gun was in the same family hands from about the mid point of the CW.
They got it from someone that was shot and told them to keep up with it and he would come back for it. Never did.

Its marked 1821 on the barrel and the lock is marked Harpers Ferry 1821.
69 smothbore and has the lug on the top of the barrel, not the bottom.
Looks like a 42 for the most part. The nipple is not in the barrel but the side like a standard 42.
has the flat ram rod, like a Potsdam from what I remember.
Steel and wood are great, only a few small cracks and marks. Wood has dried a lot and is not fitting the but plate and bands good.
Everything is a fraction off I think from the wood shrinking.

What is it and whats it worth.
I have no reason to believe what they say is wrong as they had other guns and bayo stuff.
Other then checking the wood and fixing it to stop the small cracks, I would take it out and shoot it today.

R. McAuley 3014V
06-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Based on the general description: Harpers Ferry, dated 1821, .69 caliber, smoothbore, socket bayonet lug on top of barrel, all sounds like a standard Model 1816 flintlock musket which in the year 1821 was the regulation arm in production at Harpers Ferry. As for the method of conversion to percussion, the “cone-in-barrel” method (i.e. Belgian method) was just one of the methods for converting flintlock muskets over to percussion, and was perhaps the least expensive method. The drum conversion and bolster-conversions were typically more expensive, requiring more labor and material, with the bolster-conversion very often comprising a completely new-made barrel; or like Remington's Maynard conversion, the last inch of the old barrel was cut off and re-threaded for a new patent breech much in the same manner as some of the repros are made today. Ramrods were often lost and replaced with whatever was available, either battlefield pick-ups or even blacksmith or soldier-made.

Below is an example of one of the more typical bolster-conversions of the Model 1816 by Hewes & Phillips of Newark, NJ, circa 1861-63

https://www.collegehillarsenal.com/shop ... id=84&js=n (https://www.collegehillarsenal.com/shop/product.php?printable=Y&productid=84&js=n)

Michael Bodner
06-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Hey Gadget!!!

Its worthless. I'll trade you a beer for it :lol:

-Mike

MR. GADGET
06-23-2009, 08:58 AM
How about a 6 pack and you got it.

Michael Bodner
06-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Deal!! But somehow I think I'm getting ripped off.... :wink: