PDA

View Full Version : Did this Variant of the 1855 exist?

B-Davis
07-01-2014, 09:01 AM
I am debating about building two rifles, and the first I am thinking about is a Type I or II Fayetteville. The second that I am looking at building is a Model 1855 Harpers Ferry.
I was on a site doing some research and the website has this picture posted with the description that follows. Long story short, the rifle has long range rear sights and the bore is .54 caliber. Is this right?!?
I am no expert on all the rifles made during the Civil War, so I am asking the experts, has anyone ever heard of a rifle like this, or is the caliber a misprint? Also, is there a variant of the 1855 rifle (not rifled-musket) that has the long range rear sight? I really am intrigued in this rifle, I just want to make sure it is not a misprint, or a parts gun mashed together. Any info would be appreciated!
Bryan Davis

http://relicman.com/weapons/imageweapon/W1220E_small.JPG (http://relicman.com/weapons/imageweapon/W1220E.JPG) http://relicman.com/weapons/imageweapon/W1220A_small.JPG
This early production of the model 1855 was produced for the .54 caliber minie and it employed the new Maynard paper priming system. The Model 1855 long-arm manufactured with two bands was referred to as a "percussion rifle", while the more or less same weapon but with three bands was a "percussion rifle - musket", both are muzzle loading "muskets" and by 1861, nearly all were three band and are often referred to simply as "muskets". The addition of the new Maynard feed system was thought to be an improvement over the earlier percussion nipple system in which caps had to be hand placed, however caps could still be manually placed, and as a practical matter the paper feed system did not work out, was simply abandoned, and by the time the next model was introduced in 1861, the Maynard system was eliminated entirely. Single shot .54 cal. rifled muzzleloader, brass buttplate, brass patchbox cover, patchbox drilled with two slots (unique to Harpers Ferry), "C" shaped hammer, bolster with clean out screw, early versions employed the long range site, brass trigger guard, two brass barrel bands are flat and held in place with springs, two strap hooks, nose cap is brass, lug placed on right side of barrel for a saber bayonet, ramrod is tulip head with bulge, end is threaded. Lock is marked "1858" behind the hammer, with eagle on the Maynard flap and "US / HARPERS FERRY" in front, manufactured by Harpers Ferry Armory, Harpers Ferry, Virginia (now West Virginia). Barrel is marked "VP" over eagle head, and "1858". Buttplate is marked "US". Two bands each marked "U", strap hook on top band and trigger guard. Barrel length 33in.
Ref: Flayderman 9A-309.

John Bly
07-01-2014, 09:51 AM
I've never heard of a '55 rifle being made in .54 caliber. This was when the change was made to .58 caliber. Harpers Ferry was even reboring the 1841 rifles to .58 caliber in 1858 when this rifle was made. It looks to be a correct early brass mounted '55 rifle and yes, the early ones had the long range rear sight. The caliber should be .58.

John Holland
07-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Bryan,

Several years ago one of our collector/members brought a M-1855 Rifle into the Small Arms office for us to examine. It was one of the 1855 Pattern Rifles, with all parts marked "USM" for "Unites States Model". It was exactly as the rifle you have shown and it was in .58 caliber.

I have your PM and will be sending you sheets shortly.

John Holland
Chairman, SAC

Curt
07-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Hallo!

Calibre is off in the description..

The first "version" of the M1855 Rifle was brass mounted with the long range rear sight, and a browned barrel in keeping with the M1841 Rifle. I have misplac ed my M1855 monograph, but IIRC, that was in 1857 and early 1858.

The M1855 'series' was designed to incorporate the new .58 "Minie."

I doubt that it is really the case here, but in the often careless and loose writings of the Time, both the M1841 Rifle and the M1855 Rifle are sometimes referred to as the "Harpers Ferry Rifle."
Starting in 1854 and continuing after the CW started, there were Harpers Ferry and contractor efforts to refurbish and modernize existing inventories of M1841 Rifles to be on par with the new M1855 Rifles by reboring to .58 (for Minies), adding long range or short range type rear sights, and installing a bayonet lug or mount. (Exceptions so noted like those that remained .54 (for Minies) or that were modified to take a socket bayonet rather than a sabre.)

Curt