PDA

View Full Version : Model 42 barrel markings?

jek279
06-26-2014, 02:34 PM
So how do I know what an original model 42 has for barrel markings? I have seen the year stamped on the tang, on the top of the bolster, and not one at all. I have seen a lock plate dated 1847 and a tang stamp of 1829. Would these all be considered original mods made during the civil war by arsenals or ferreiers?

Curt
06-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Hallo!

In general, and not noting rare or rarer exceptions...

As it left the arsenal.... the barrel carries the date of its manufacture. Those that pass through the manufacturing system are viewed and proofed. If passing, they are stamped "V" for Viewed, "P" for passing proof charges, and then an eaglehead denoting acceptance on the part of the government for use in service. The "V, P, Eaglehead" stamps will vary over time as they wear out and are replaced. Plus they can vary between Springfield and Harpers Ferry.

The date on the barrel ideally, normally matches the date on the lock plate. In brief... except for a limited number that might be a December made lock with uneven production running into January before they are used up and the next year's ones rematch again. They may not match when one or the other has been replaced due to say damage or even battlefield "injuries' to the gun. And last but not least they may be mismatched by dealers and sellers who swap them out.

For example, a well known collector here in town is "infamous" for making the guns he sells 'better" by swapping parts so they can bring a higher price. Especially from those that do not know or who do not see or perceive mistmached pieces/parts with different age, patina, wear, color, etc. than others around them on the same gun.

Curt

Curt
06-26-2014, 07:22 PM
Hallo!

Oh, there should not be an 1829 dated barrel on an M1842?

"1829" would belong to the predecessor of the M1842 percussion musket , the M1822 (aka to hobbyists and collectors as the M1816 Type II) flintlock musket.

Curt

jek279
06-26-2014, 07:26 PM
I know there probably should not be, but the tangs are the same are they not. Is it possible to have had someone swap in the 1829 tang for the model 42. They are both guns made at Springfield.

Curt
06-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Hallo!

Now THAT's an interesting question that I have never seen before! :)

I have a M1822, but sold off my (Ohio surcharged) M!842 a few years ago (thanks to The Ohio State University). :) :(
Other wise I would pull the barrels, pull the breech plugs and see if they swap.

My guess is, yes, as that would explain an M1822 breech plug on/in an M1842 barrel.

Curt