PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Bayonet

snuffy19608
06-25-2014, 02:44 PM
New member, looking to start competing, trying to keep costs down. My unit is helping a LOT, thought I 'd post here and see if anyone has a "ramrod prop" and scabbard I can get. Tks, Greg

Maillemaker
06-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Hi Greg,

Most people do shoot off a bayonet, it seems, probably because it's been deemed the fastest, but I figured I'd point out you can also stick it in a boot, return it to the rifle, or hold it in your hand while shooting.

All those options are free. :)

Steve

Rebel Dave
06-25-2014, 05:44 PM
If you want accuracy, I don't suggest putting the ramrod back in the gun. It "Vibrates", and that could mean the difference in hitting a target or, the X Ring. Soldiers in the war might have done it, but they had to take it with them, and they didn't want to loose it.
Some guys just stick it in the ground.
You could probably pick up a cheap repo on this site or, some of the other CW Forums. Put a want add out on the other forums. it doesn't have to be defarbed to stick in the ground.

Rebel Dave

snuffy19608
06-25-2014, 06:07 PM
That's exactly want I want Dave, something to stick in the ground.

Maillemaker, Tks for the free options, I just might do one of those. Free is rarely bad.

Jim Mayo
07-02-2014, 11:34 PM
You will get awfully dirty hands when the dirt from the ramrod end you are sticking in the dirt starts sticking to your hand. Makes a mess.

RaiderANV
07-02-2014, 11:48 PM
Nothing faster then holding it in your left hand while shooting......if yer right handed that is. ;)

R. McAuley 3014V
07-03-2014, 12:45 AM
Just the accessory for that repro P/58 Enfield Naval Rifle

http://www.legendaryarms.com/enfield-rifle-pattern-1859-cutlass-bayonet/

Rob FreemanWBR
07-03-2014, 03:56 AM
PJ's absolutely correct!

Holding the ramrod in you supporting hand is the fastest (and cheapest) method...

I used to use a repo Zouave bayonet for years as a ram rod holder, until I "saw the light".

As a "convert" I can attest that it may feel awkward at first, but once you get the hang of this technique - you'll see that this technique shaves a little time on the line when it comes to loading.

Then again - YOU have to do what's most comfortable (and safest) for you when it comes to loading and firing on the line, esp. in the heat of team competitions.

MR. GADGET
07-03-2014, 11:05 AM
I think there is a rule that you can not return the RR to the gun or use one attached to or stored in the gun.
Too much risk putting you hands over the loaded gun.
I need to look in the rules but remember seeing it someplace.

jonk
07-03-2014, 01:56 PM
PJ's absolutely correct!

Holding the ramrod in you supporting hand is the fastest (and cheapest) method...

I used to use a repo Zouave bayonet for years as a ram rod holder, until I "saw the light".

As a "convert" I can attest that it may feel awkward at first, but once you get the hang of this technique - you'll see that this technique shaves a little time on the line when it comes to loading.

Then again - YOU have to do what's most comfortable (and safest) for you when it comes to loading and firing on the line, esp. in the heat of team competitions.

I would take that with a grain of salt. You still have to transfer the rod to your right hand after pouring in the powder and starting the bullet. That's not faster or slower than picking up the rod leaning on the bayonet, assuming you've placed it well. The only way I'd see it as advantageous is if someone is ambidextrous. Then just seating with the left hand would indeed be a tad faster.

I'm talking theoretically here. If YOU can do it faster one way over another, then by all means, that's best for you.

I use a long blade bayonet, because what I have found is that a short bayonet will have the rod leaning so much that you have to bend over to pick it up. That WOULD take extra time. A nice long one will be right next to your hand. Again, if placed well.

Michael Bodner
07-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Rul 20.2 (f)

If the rammer is returned to the piece, it should be pulled down by the little finger, keeping the hand out of the line of fire.

Please note the use of 'should'.

-Mike

Maillemaker
07-03-2014, 04:07 PM
I think there is a rule that you can not return the RR to the gun or use one attached to or stored in the gun.
Too much risk putting you hands over the loaded gun.
I need to look in the rules but remember seeing it someplace.

As Mike quoted above, it is legal to return the ramrod to the gun.

Steve

RaiderANV
07-03-2014, 04:57 PM
I would take that with a grain of salt. You still have to transfer the rod to your right hand after pouring in the powder and starting the bullet. That's not faster or slower than picking up the rod leaning on the bayonet........

Actually the rod is in your left hand at the top of the barrel while your holding your gun. Your right hand is doing all the loading of powder and ball. You grab the rod already in front of you, ram it and flip it back between your middle finder WITHOUT having to bend over,,,,,AIM for your bayonet and place it back there both while picking it up and placing it back. All the while taking your eyes off the targets where you will sooner or later miss a tiny puff from a nicked target you could have called out. My eyes leave the targets once for a split second while I stick the ram rod on the bullet then back to the targets while I ram.

No salt required