PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Markings on just received S.N.&W.T.C.

Steve Weems
06-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Looking for input on a S.N.&W.T.C. for Massachusetts I just received dated 1864. The only unusual markings are the number 44 on top of the barrel breech flat
flat just in front of the 1864 date and the number 15 on the top flat of the butt plate. I was thinking of unit and rack numbers. Other than these
numbers the rifle is just as is outlined in the NSSA spec sheet provided by MR. Holland.

Curt
06-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Hallo!

I have never seen such. They are certainly outside of the "official" arsenal or contractor markings, and certainly post manufacture.

NUG (Normally, Usually, Generally) garrison arms might carry a unit and rack number but typically these are stamped or engraved between the heel of the buttplate and the top screw.

One exemption I can think of is an 1863 dated Norris & Clement (S.N. & W. T. C.) that has the info stamped on the right side of the butt stock 29/HSB/60 for the regiment, unit, and soldier.

I could see a rack number of "15" as a rack number on the butt plate tang, but a "44" on the barrel stumps me.

Curt

H.Liniger
06-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Hello, The markings on my Norris and Clements are very similar to yours. There is a 43 stamped just forward of the 1864 on top of the barrel. The butt plate has a 26 stamped on it. There is a LFR stamped on the left barrel flat.Mine has LXVII carved in the stock just foward of the butt plate. It also has a soldiers name and 12 x's carved in the forgrip. Any information you recieve will also help me. Harry Liniger Dismal Swamp Rangers

Curt
06-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Hallo!~

Interesting.

Curt