PDA

View Full Version : Cow vs cornmeal

Rlevin
05-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Alright I know if there is proponent for something there will be an opponent. Now my statement is based on true scientific testing and no moonshine was involved (dang!).
i bought two pistols from TrI-L and just got around to shooting them for a load test. He said to use 22gr of 3F Goex and then fill the cylinder chambers within 1/8" with cornmeal. We'll I did exactly that but it shot barely ok. I decided to try COW and good golly miss Molly they almost went through the same hole. I have a pistol accurized by the famous Charlie Hahn and with 22gr Swiss 2F and COW they do go through almost one hole. Funny but my identical twin brother knows a BP shooter who has won a ton of pistol matches and he uses oatmeal. So try the same experiment and see if you get the same results. Now I have to run to the market and buy oatmeal. Gosh I wonder if he uses instant? Hmmm....

on this Memorial Day take a moment to say a prayer for those who gave their all and for all who served. In that prayer pray we elect leaders who will not sacrifice one American life for causes that are not just and honorable. Pray for war no more!
Russell Levin Berdan C2

Fred Jr
05-26-2014, 08:04 AM
I used COW for many years but recently changed to Grits. The COW grew little bugs if it didn't get used quickly! Hated to shoots those little critters! But the main reason I switched was that Grits is cheaper!!!!!! Plus it doesn't seem to matter what I use any longer.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
05-26-2014, 08:37 AM
Fred,

Now I understand what you meant when you said you were trying to work the bugs out with your revolver.

Ron/The Old Reb
05-26-2014, 09:29 AM
Keep your cow in the Freeze and it won't get bugs.

MR. GADGET
05-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Keep your cow in the Freeze and it won't get bugs.

Yep, really all you need to do is place it in the freezer for a few days when you get it and it will kill any bugs that would be in there and you will be fine, it is done all the time for long term storage or times when grains will be subject to temp changes that will make them hatch.

Bob Lintner
05-26-2014, 08:47 PM
You could also use shotgun buffer from Ballistic Products.

Muley Gil
05-26-2014, 08:58 PM
You could also use shotgun buffer from Ballistic Products.

It would probably taste better than Cream of Wheat as well.

Grits=Jawga Ice Cream. YUM!

Kevin Tinny
05-27-2014, 10:33 AM
Hello:
Shotgun pellet/buckshot buffer has to be some form of plastic/nylon formulation. Usually anything that is petrochemical in composition, including bullet lube components are not compatible with black powder use because most, if not all such ingredients burn in the bore and leave counter productive bore deposits. If anyone has used shotgun buffer, please share your results. Many thanks.

jonk
05-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Hello:
Shotgun pellet/buckshot buffer has to be some form of plastic/nylon formulation. Usually anything that is petrochemical in composition, including bullet lube components are not compatible with black powder use because most, if not all such ingredients burn in the bore and leave counter productive bore deposits. If anyone has used shotgun buffer, please share your results. Many thanks.

The petrochemical thing is more an issue with lube components than anything else; the shotshell buffer however raises a few potential issues.

I don't think that it will burn or melt, first off. It is exposed to the heat of the gun for such a short time, that nothing like that is going to happen. And in a revolver, which is a slow-fire thing, with lots of metal and modest powder charges, I don't think it will get hot enough to melt in situ; I have never had a revolver heat up that much.

However, for those who use a filler in their long arms, I HAVE gotten smoothbores hot enough that I think they could melt plastic, and would discourage the shot shell buffer's use in that application.

As to the cornmeal/COW/grits/oatmeal etc. debate: my revolver actually shoots better with no fillers of any sort. From a pistol rest it will print 1.5" groups at 25 yards, or 6-7" groups with filler, and I've tried several, so for me it is a non issue. Worth trying, don't assume you need filler. However: I have found in some long arms that filler is useful, and personally prefer cornmeal. Not something I use in the skirmish (though I am going to try it in my newly acquired smith) but just food for thought.

Plus, with cornmeal, if the mood strikes, I can make cornbread around the campfire. :) Then again, I could have grits or oatmeal for breakfast... hard choice.

Kevin Tinny
05-27-2014, 11:57 AM
A big yes on revolvers. I was mistakenly thinking about fillers in Maynards. In mine, with or without reduced charge cases, the most consistent results involve a robust filler that helps push the bullet against the rifling, which then forces the case head against the standing breech. For what it may be worth, my tests indicate COW is less compressible than corn meal.

Jim Barber
05-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Corn meal is easily compressible, so if you're hamfisted like me and put too much in, you can still seat the ball all the way. Also you can pan fry your catfish with the leftover meal.

Jim B.

Grove City, OH