PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Trigger on New Pedersoli Richmond Rifle

Bethel
05-17-2014, 04:56 PM
I've long been a Civil War history buff but finally bit the bullet and purchased a new Pedersoli Richmond Rifle which I very much look forward to firing. The rifle arrived today and looks to be an excellent replica save in one respect — a very loose trigger. Specifically, the trigger jostles around in uncocked, half, and full cocked lock positions (the amount of play is less when fully cocked). So I thought I would come here to the experts and inquire whether this this "normal" in a new, unfired Pedersoli?

I've seen some references online to possible solutions that involve removing the lock plate and examining whether the stock is contacting the trigger assembly. I could certainly do that but I'm pretty sure I could get the rifle replaced by the retailer (Cabelas) and, given my rank noob status, would prefer not to have to attempt any repairs.

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. And if there are any members in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC, I would love to meet up sometime. I'm looking for any pointers I can get, especially regarding local ranges.

Jim

Curt
05-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Hallo!

It can be hard to diagnosis without the gun in hand...
And not getting into trigger pull...

I would say start with the easy, not knowing any more.

The trigger sits in a slotted stud on the underside of the trigger plate. It is held there by a small screw.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/Michael1787/trigger_zps5383fbbc.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Michael1787/media/trigger_zps5383fbbc.jpg.html)

Try tightening the screw first. Followed may be by pinching the two halves or sides of the stud together a teeny tiny bit at a time- putting the trigger back in each time checking for travel and play?

Curt

Maillemaker
05-17-2014, 08:39 PM
The stirrup arm broke on my new Pedersoli P58 as there was not enough meat around the linkage hole. I replaced it with a machined Lodgewood replacement.

Afterwards, it also had a loose trigger. I fixed it by building up the "tail" of the trigger, the part that touches the sear arm, with JB Weld.

Steve

hobbler
05-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Were the triggers on the original equipment loose like that?

My Armisport Fremont is the same way.

Curt
05-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Hallo!

Maybe we should be talking about lateral or side-to-side movement versus slop or play before the trigger bar meets the sear or both?

And then maybe even "creep" as the distance the trigger moves before it upsets the sear and releases the lock from full-cock.

Curt

Bethel
05-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Thanks for all the responses. After getting on the phone with a few folks and talking with Cabelas, the unanimous consensus was that there was either a defect with this rifle or it was damaged during shipping. Either way, Cabelas is exchanging this rifle for another. The very helpful customer service rep said that, if anything, the trigger should be "too firm."

This trigger is dangling loose like a pendulum. There is both lateral (side to side) and in-line movement (front to back) of approximately .5 cm.

Once I get the replacement rifle, I'll report back with a subjective comparison. Thank you again to those of you who took the time to read and respond.

Best,

Jim