PDA

View Full Version : Lyman bullet mold base plugs?

MR. GADGET
05-11-2014, 10:35 PM
So I was digging threw my molds tonight and looking at some I got from a member that had passed.
There were a few of us that got gear from his wife so maybe one of them have it but I'm not sure.

It is a Lyman 577 minie and the base plug for it was too long, it sticks up past the first grove on the bullet and looks like it would cause the back to blow off a ring.

When looking at markings on the mold it looks to have been used with a plug about 1/8" less length.
I also pulled out a Lyman Minie OS mold that has the same plug as this one.

SO it looks like it was just an old mold that he picked up with the wrong base plug or by chance they got mixed up and one of the others is too short.

Anyone know anything about getting a base plug for the molds?

Looks like a lot of the ones I have are all different Dia, pending the size and type or age of mold.

Maybe I could have the grove opened up and add a few more c clips and back the screw out also.
But getting the correct size and shape would be best or selling it off as parts.

Ron/The Old Reb
05-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Call Lyman they my be able to replace it withe the right one. If all else fails take the nob off chuck it up in a lathe and turn it down an 1/8 inch.

hobbler
05-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Erik's the man.
http://www.hollowpointmold.com/