PDA

View Full Version : Jacksons signal cannon

mike Trahos
06-11-2009, 10:53 PM
I went to the Warren Rifles Confederate museum to day in Front Royal and they had a small cannon there they said was Jacksons signal cannon. Maybe this has already been covered as cannonmn seems on top of most "loose" cannons. Any way I have never seen a cannon with an iron muzzle cover retained by an iron rod pegged to the breech. The explinaton to me was that it was a British naval cannon. Small bore, maybe 1 1/4" and 36" long. No camera so no pictures. It was mounted on a carriage and had a small limber.

cannonmn
06-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Here's the only photo of it I could find on the web and it isn't clear enough to see much. Hopefully this is the one you saw.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums35/warrenriflescannon1.gif

While it would be difficult to completely disprove the tale about this small cannon, it would be just as hard to understand what Jackson would be doing with such an item. If someone has prime-source documentation about Jackson or his troops using such an item, that would change the situation.