PDA

View Full Version : Confederate Hall Rilfe Alterations

Jim Leinicke 7368V
04-24-2014, 07:57 PM
I don't expect a lot of response to this thread, but I am looking for anyone who has some knowledge about Confederate alterations of the Hall flintlock, breechloading rifles. I have two pieces about which I am seeking information. One is a rifle, altered to percussion and updated at what was clearly a very sophisticated public or private armory. It features a new percussion hammer identical to what Murphy and Madaus attribute to Augusta Armory, but the rest of the workmanship on the gun is much better than the supposed Augusta alteration (I can provide further details and pictures to demonstrate the point). The second weapon is a carbine, made from a flintlock rifle, using the orginal hammer altered similar to those attributed to Holly Springs armory. The gun is cut back to the proper length for a Model 1840 carbine, and is fitted with a cleaning rod retainer below the muzzle as well as a rod. The most interesting thing is that it is hand-stocked with curly maple, and the stock is an excellent copy of the usual miltary Hall stock. I have never seen anything at all like this carbine anywhere, and it came from an estate sale in Virginia.

Anyhow.....Someone out there is surely more knowledgeable than I on the subject of Confederate Hall rilfes. If you are the guy, please get in touch.

Thanks-
Jim Leinicke
7368V

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
04-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Jim,

I would check with Bill Adams of the 34th Virginia.I will PM you his address.

Phil

Muley Gil
04-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Barrett rifles and carbines were Halls modified to muzzleloaders for the Confederacy by John Barrett who owned a mill on Reed Creek in Wytheville, Virginia.

Curt
04-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Hallo!

Could you post a few pictures to help focus the inquiry?

Curt

Jim Leinicke 7368V
04-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Curt-
I will attempt to attach a couple of images of this Hall flintlock rifle converted to a percussion carbine. Actually, I think it is made up of parts. The converted action and barrel, the extensively altered rifle trigger guard, and the buttplate are from a Hall rifle. The bands appear to have been fabricated by bending iron strap around a mandrel and then bronze-brazing it together. At one time, there was a forward sling swivel, with the lug threaded into the upper band. The stock is completely hand made and hand inletted by a very skilled stockmaker.

The original rifle sight is very professionally relocated to its new position on the shortened barrel, and and the hammer has been altered from flint by grinding and then brazing on a new percussion top. The thumbpiece is not knurled, and the slot for the frizzen foot on the breech block is not filled. Markings are sharp, and this one is a Harpers Ferry dated 1834.

I can't get any pictures of the other piece (a rifle) until after the weekend. The rifle, at least, has excellent provenance, having been captured by the 98th Illinois at Macon, GA on April 12, 1865 and has been in the hands of the state ever since.

Jim

Jim Leinicke 7368V
04-25-2014, 10:20 AM
I am leaving later this morning because we (114th Illinois) are hosting a skirmish this weekend here in Springfield. When I get back, I will make better images of the carbine and will extensively photograph the rifle. I am glad to see there is some interest!

Jim Leinicke
7368V

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
04-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Hallo!

Could you post a few pictures to help focus the inquiry?

Curt

Herr Schmidt.....glad to see you in this forum as you will add much !

Curt
04-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Hi!

Thanks Herr Phil!

(I am currently trapped in the "moderator queue" and only my short replies are being posted.)

John Holland
04-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Curt,

I have tried to open your replies to public viewing, but with no success. I believe it is going to require intervention by someone with a higher level of security clearance, such as an Admin.

I really want everyone to be able to read your series of posts on Confederate revolvers!

John Holland

Curt
04-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Hi!

Thanks!

I appreciate it.

Odd though... very short posts go through. Longer ones not.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
04-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Curt,

I have tried to open your replies to public viewing, but with no success. I believe it is going to require intervention by someone with a higher level of security clearance, such as an Admin.

I really want everyone to be able to read your series of posts on Confederate revolvers!

John Holland

I know just the person who can make this happen !

Jim Leinicke 7368V
04-27-2014, 05:17 PM
I am now returned from our skirmish and I took some better images of the carbine. Unfortunately, the limitations on the size of attachments for this forum pleclude sending along anything of any further value, so the images are not attached. I will just bring the darn thing along to the nationals and see if anyone on Small Arms has any good ideas on it.

Jim Leinicke