PDA

View Full Version : New Projects and Arms

Jud96
04-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Just was interested in knowing if anyone has completed any musket projects over the winter or have gotten any new toys to test out this upcoming skirmish season. Hope to see some goodies and look forward to seeing them!

Dave Howard
04-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Got hold of an original 3 band Colt that someone thought they would make a lamp out of! Who knows when and why but they had drilled a long hole through the butt of the riffle up to the breech plug. That is where they stopped (thank common sense) Then someone else came along and epoxyed a hardwood plug in the hole and put it on gun hooks. Who knows how long it stayed on the wall. The wood had been sanded through the years and the original marks can no longer be seen but it is what it is. Picked up a new Whitacre barrel and a bit more well marked colt lock and a few other bits and spent some time on the rework and am now putting together a few bullet samples and getting ready to head to the snowless range to work up a load. My history in NSSA started out in 1968. I used to go to Mike Yeck's place and cast bullets with his mom and Mike took me under his wing. One day he handed me a Zoli, some leathers, a 4th Mich. stocking cap and said as I got my own stuff to give his stuff back. I did just that and my first musket was a Colt special with a Numrich barrel that I shot up until 1984 when I left the NSSA to raise a family. My biggest mistake was when I left the NSSA. Not so much the shooting but the people. I am now beginning my second year after rejoining and looking forward to seeing everyone throughout the year. God bless both my friends that are still shooting and those very dear ones that I will have to wait a bit longer to see again.

bobanderson
04-21-2014, 06:48 AM
2541Got this in a swap with a teammate and great skirmisher who started building it from parts about 10+ years ago. He lost interest in the project and it hung on hooks over his lathe for almost all of that time.

It was one of those thing where he has what I want and I have what he wants and it followed me home.

I'm not an artist or a craftsman, so in this case I relied on friends who specialized in metal work, stock finishing, what have you.

Muley Gil
04-21-2014, 06:56 AM
Welcome back Dave.

I followed a similar path. Made my first visit to the Fort with my family in 1969 and my pappy & I joined the WBR in 1970. Dropped out of skirmishing in the mid '70s (college in the Deep South, job, family, bad off days, no money, etc). Moved back to Old Virginny in the 2000s and joined up with the 34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry in 2006. Been having a ball ever since!

Jud96
04-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Got hold of an original 3 band Colt that someone thought they would make a lamp out of! Who knows when and why but they had drilled a long hole through the butt of the riffle up to the breech plug. That is where they stopped (thank common sense) Then someone else came along and epoxyed a hardwood plug in the hole and put it on gun hooks. Who knows how long it stayed on the wall. The wood had been sanded through the years and the original marks can no longer be seen but it is what it is. Picked up a new Whitacre barrel and a bit more well marked colt lock and a few other bits and spent some time on the rework and am now putting together a few bullet samples and getting ready to head to the snowless range to work up a load. My history in NSSA started out in 1968. I used to go to Mike Yeck's place and cast bullets with his mom and Mike took me under his wing. One day he handed me a Zoli, some leathers, a 4th Mich. stocking cap and said as I got my own stuff to give his stuff back. I did just that and my first musket was a Colt special with a Numrich barrel that I shot up until 1984 when I left the NSSA to raise a family. My biggest mistake was when I left the NSSA. Not so much the shooting but the people. I am now beginning my second year after rejoining and looking forward to seeing everyone throughout the year. God bless both my friends that are still shooting and those very dear ones that I will have to wait a bit longer to see again.

Sounds like a nice rifle-musket! Sounds like it will be a great shooter also! Glad to hear that your back into the N-SSA!

Jud96
04-21-2014, 02:27 PM
2541Got this in a swap with a teammate and great skirmisher who started building it from parts about 10+ years ago. He lost interest in the project and it hung on hooks over his lathe for almost all of that time.

It was one of those thing where he has what I want and I have what he wants and it followed me home.

I'm not an artist or a craftsman, so in this case I relied on friends who specialized in metal work, stock finishing, what have you.

Those brass mounted 1855 Harpers Ferry's are awesome rifles! Looks like its a good shooter too!