PDA

View Full Version : Which Remington/Colt do you suggest?

MIR
06-04-2009, 10:21 PM
I like the 1858 Remington, and would like to know which MFG. should I choose when getting one?

I also plan to get a Colt Navy and possibly an Army in the future, I really like the way those feel, but it seems the Remington is a better design with the top strap on the frame etc..

What about the Rogers Spencer?

What do you all suggest???

Most importantly, which shoots the best out of the box, and what kind of accuracy should I expect. Is any gunsmithing required to get them to shoot better, if so, what? I never have owned a BP pistol, this will be my first.

Mike McDaniel
06-05-2009, 08:55 AM
OK, let me walk you through this.

The first question is, how much money are you willing to spend? As with most things, you get what you pay for.

The top-of-the-line guns are the Hege Army Match Maximum (a Remington repro) and the Feinwerkbau History #2 (a Rogers & Spencer repro). The guns are of equal quality. Both will put thirteen shots into a 1-inch group at 25 yards. Of the two, the Hege is often preferred due to the lower hammer spur of the Remington design, but the Feinwerkbau has better distribution and support in the United States. If I were buying new, I would probably go with the FWB.

Cost on both these is around $1,500

Then you have the mid-grade Italian guns. Pedersoli manufactures both a Remington and a Rogers & Spencer repro that are quite good. They need to have the trigger worked over, but the basic guns are very good. Distribution of these in the US is limited, but you can find them - or order from Italy. It's a global economy, may as well take advantage of it.

The other mid-grade piece is the Pietta 'Shooter's Model' Remington. This also requires a trigger job, but is capable of shooting 2-3 inch groups.

Either way, you are looking at $600-800.

Below these, you have the plinker/reenactor grade guns. Pietta is favored for the Remingtons, Uberti for Colts. These guns often have chambers not properly aligned with the barrels, and always need trigger work. These can be had for $200-300.

Now, if you really want a Colt, there is one option that I would seriously consider. Hege had a run of Colt Navys made that are claimed to be match-grade - something about the Polish firearms laws forced the Polish International Team to use Colts. I may get one myself, just to experiment.

I'll add that getting a trigger job done is not that costly. Right now, i'd ship the gun to Rob Lewis...or do it myself. You can do a lot just by shimming the full-cock notch a little (though John Anderson told me once that the best way to do this is to drill a hole in the hammer, fit a pin, and file the pin down to control sear engagement.)

Jim Wimbish, 10395
06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
For a reasonably priced gun out of the box, I would go with the Rogers and Spencer made by Euroarms. If you want a Remington that will shoot worth a darn you will have to spend around $600. You can buy a Pietta and have it accurized or buy the Pietta shooters revolver. The shooters revolver will still need a trigger job. I bought one this Spring and the trigger is definitely heavier than you would want for competition. If Mike is correct and the Pietta shooters revolver will only hold 2-3 inch groups, then I would go with the accurized Pietta Remington option. The accurized guns will shot an inch group at 25 yards.

IF you want to go with something more expensive, Mike has pretty well gone over the high end guns for you. My research showed that the FWB Rogers is a wonderful gun but will set you back $1,850. I couldn't find one for $1,500. Prices have gone up.

Fred Jr
06-05-2009, 12:23 PM
If you are interested in a very good R&S, there is one listed on the BB that was accurized my HP. That's what I use and it shoots very well. Also fair price.

Fred jr

1097 12TH PA

Mike McDaniel
06-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Jim, try Neal Stepp at ISS. http://www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com

His last price was $1500.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
06-05-2009, 08:27 PM
I called Neal at ISS weeks ago. The FWB Rogers he had at $1500 was sold and if he ordered another one from factory the price would be $1850. If you have other information than this, email me at home.

Jim

B. Miller
06-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Mike,
I am Interested in the Pedersoli Remington. I see Cherry's will order one for $780.00. I am currently shooting a Pietta Deluxe Remington which is the same as the Shooters it was just imported by Navy Arms instead of DGW. I see you categorize both of these as mid-grade. How does the the Pedersoli compare with the Pietta and would it be a step up for me to purchase one? I also do not see that the Pedersoli revolvers approved for association use. I was going to ask John Holland about that and if he knew of any that had individual SAC approval cards. Could that teflon strip on the cylinder be a approval problem?
Thanks,
Bruce

Mike McDaniel
06-05-2009, 11:40 PM
I consider them pretty close, if you can examine the Pietta before you buy it. I've shot both a little, and was favorably impressed by the Pedersoli.

If you have a Pietta that is a good shooter, you would be better off investing in a good trigger job.

Charlie Hahn
06-08-2009, 11:04 AM
I would like to offer another way to get a reasonable shooter. Buy a stock pistol that is not too loose. Send it to me and I will rebarrel, line bore and tighten up for about $300. One of my guns won the 25 yard Spring National. I don't mind working on used guns either, but it might require a few extra items to time it out.

Charlie Hahn