PDA

View Full Version : 2 Ques for Garrett and Shiloh Sharps carbines

Cali Billy
04-14-2014, 03:33 AM
Hello all,

I'm looking for a Sharps carbine and these two makers seem to be the best. Garrett has historical accuracy, I hear their stocks and fore ends copy the original size and feel whereas the Shiloh (and all others) are thicker in the wrist and fore end. Not sure why they would do this, seemed they made it through an actual war ok but it is what it is. I'm sure it would be possible to work on the Shiloh and bring its wood work into proper specs, but I wonder about things like the Shiloh receiver and if it too will have to be shaped and maybe the barrel band replaced. So that's my first question!

This next one is simple I hope, I've read the Garretts come in 56 caliber. Given that the original caliber of 52 is actually the same size as the caliber of all the other repros, 54, they can use the same bullet. Are Garrett's bores actually 56 caliber?

If anyone knows were I could get a good set of plans for the Sharps carbine, I'd appreciate it. I may attempt this one myself!

P.Altland
04-15-2014, 10:10 PM
My Garrett is stamped .54 caliber and measures .540 to the bottom of the grooves.

John Stephens, 11095
04-16-2014, 11:26 AM
I have a sharps, give me a call. 606-316-0405

kentuckycharlie
07-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Just posted a Garrett .54 for sale today.

Curt
07-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Hallo!

I had two "Garrett" NM1859 Rifles and two Carbines. They were .54's.

Curt

Charlie Hahn
07-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Regarding the fit and feel, the early Garret Sharps where very close to the original. Later models had mismatch word and other issues.

Caliber, the originals where called 52 caliber as they used the normal muzzle load way of measuring the bore and not the breech loader way of using the groove. Garrets and some of the transitional IAB's had 56 caliber groove barrels, so you need to check them closely.

Early Garret Sharps do gain value, with middle run units not so much.

Shiloh has what I call three levels, thru Farmingdale, early Montana guns with a Wolfs head, then the current and last production units, Fit and finish are good on all with exceptional internals, wood is over dimension to originals, but not too bad. Shiloh took some liberties with some features but they are high quality with out a doubt.

Charlie Hahn

R. McAuley 3014V
07-03-2014, 01:10 AM
If you want one in the correct size and feel of an original Sharps, then buy an original. Ten-Ring Precision of San Antonio currently has a NM1859 Cartridge Conversion Saddle Ring Carbine with about 70% bluing on the barrel and 30% original finish on the receiver for $2950. I bought a M1867 Spencer from Alex last year, and was very tempted at the time to buy this same 1859 Sharps for myself. Bet it would drive tacks if it was converted back to percussion.

http://tenring.com/rifles-2/

Curt
07-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Hallo!

And some CW trivia...

Measuring barrel bore size by the lands at the muzzle, or grooves at the breech end of a breechloader is only a bit "saner" IMHO of measuring different sections of the ogive of the guns bullet and saying that is the calibre. Especially for progressive depth rifled arms, deeper at the breech end or bottom than the muzzle end.

For example.

The ".52" Spencer rifle or carbine, shooting the Spencer No. 56 cartridge. Such as the 56-56 Spencer, or the 56-50, or the 56-52, or the 56-46. (The cartridge being tapered down more radically crimpled for the different bullet)
One will occasionally see a Spencer cartridge as .56-56.
So, the Spencer No. 56 used a .54 bullet.
But its cartridge (No 56) is the factor, it being .56 at the base and .56 at the mouth. :)

And the fly in the ointment is that the ball varied by maker, typically from .54 to .545 to .555.

:) :)

Curt