PDA

View Full Version : Greene bolt action

efritz
04-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Anyone ever try shooting a Greene bolt action gun? Any success?

Ibgreen
04-09-2014, 09:53 PM
I have not. But with my handle, maybe I should look for one.

civilwarlife
04-21-2014, 01:48 PM
I have been trying to work up a load but not with much success. It shoots OK but doesn't seem to want to group. I tried a Lee .53 cal minie, a Sharps .54 cal and a .54 cal minie. None are great. I have tried several powder charges from 50 gr 2F to 60 gr 2F. I have tried using a wad behind the bullet but that doesn't seem to have much effect. I'm going to try some 1F powder. One problem is that the original powder charge was like 63 gr. You almost have to use that much to get a cartridge long enough to fit the chamber. Just remember that when you are done shooting you will still have a bullet in the chamber because the bullet goes behind the powder charge. I'll post any more positive results.

Terry
2nd. US Sharpshooters, Co B

efritz
04-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Terry,

Thanks for the info. I tried 10 rounds of a .54 lyman mini that a friend gave me. I think I used 45 grs. 3F GOEX with a wad. Like you, not much success with that. There isn't a whole lot to choose from in .54. The sharps you used, was that a ring tail?
I was wondering if there's a Wilkerson out there in .54?
I too will continue to tinker. I'll let you know how things go although I don't presently have time for it cause I'm working on the horse pistols now and another Ballard. But I'm trying to use the original barrel.