PDA

View Full Version : Russet Leather

ThomasKavanagh
04-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Does anyone know the composition of the 1860s 'russet' leather dye?
Ideas on the closest modern equivalent?

Thomas Kavanagh
Co B, First Special Batt., Lousiana Volunteers, Wheat's Tigers
2883v

Rebel Dave
04-05-2014, 07:19 PM
Fiebings,( They make leather dye) makes a dye called "British Tan". That's what I use. Its a medium tanish brown. You can get Fiebings at Tandy Leather Stores, or a good shoe repair shop. C & D Jarnigan, might be able to help you out. They make good quality leathers. Give them a call . They are in the Sutlers list.

Rebel Dave

ThomasKavanagh
04-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Fiebings,( They make leather dye) makes a dye called "British Tan". That's what I use. Its a medium tanish brown. You can get Fiebings at Tandy Leather Stores, or a good shoe repair shop. C & D Jarnigan, might be able to help you out. They make good quality leathers. Give them a call . They are in the Sutlers list.

Rebel Dave

Sorta glad you said F's "British Tan": I just finished a cartridge box/cap pouch in that color, but it seems a lot darker/redder than some of the other pieces that are offered as "russet," even some of Jarnigan's. That's why I asked about the original dye-stuff. So that question is still up.

tk
Thomas Kavanagh
2883v
Co. B, Wheat's First Special battalion, Louisiana Volunteers

Rebel Dave
04-05-2014, 11:30 PM
Tom
Next time you use it, try diluting it. If you have oil dye, or the alcohol type, (they make both)you can thin it with thinner that Tandy sells. You could probably just use rubbing alcohol, but test it first. I have not used it that way, I use it straight. If I remember right Jarnigans, are the people who told me to use British Tan. I only make western holsters, and gunbelts, and only in the winter. I don't have any patterns for CW leathers.

Rebel Dave