PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Mould for Ballard carbine

Lou Lou Lou
03-17-2014, 11:20 AM
With the help of my friends, I picked up a Ballard carbine at the Baltimore show. Need to have the centerfire conversion done. Want to use 44-40 brass. What bullet are you folks using? Same as in the Henry? All info is greatly appreciated

matt
03-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Im using the Mav Dutchman big lube bullet in my Henry and it works great.
Matt

Bruce Cobb 1723V
03-18-2014, 01:44 PM
With the help of my friends, I picked up a Ballard carbine at the Baltimore show. Need to have the centerfire conversion done. Want to use 44-40 brass. What bullet are you folks using? Same as in the Henry? All info is greatly appreciated
What type of ballard carbine did you get? Is it the original rifling a gain twist? Just a word of advice, use 44 special if you can and as light a wgt bullet as works. Gain twists like a heavier bullet. Heavy powder / 3f / and heavy bullets break frames! Why I ask about the rifling is that Hoyts relines shoot light bullets, light loads and even round balls extremly well. Good luck.

S Myers
03-20-2014, 09:02 AM
My Ballard Carbine takes a .44 mag case with 16 grains of 3f Goex and the standard Henry bullet.

Sherry

Lou Lou Lou
03-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Thanks for all the replies

Tim Lyne
04-01-2014, 11:40 AM
It's smart to do a chamber cast or at least into the throat so you can get an accurate bore dimension. If you can get away with shooting one of the available Henry molds, you'd be lucky. If your bore is too big for a Henry bullet you may need to go to a heeled bullet. That's what I did as I didn't want to ream out an original chamber/throat to fit something else.
Tim Lyne
Knap's Batt., Adj.
#2952V