PDA

View Full Version : 45 Long Colt bullet

Lithuanian artillery
03-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Hi All

I shoot a Uberti Henry that was relined by Bobby Hoyt. I use a 452 hard cast bullet that is from an old Lyman 454612. I throws a 295gr round flat nosed bullet and has nice grease grooves. Since I had it relined it is a tack driver. I have been so good with it in individuals, I am thinking about team comp. Only problem is, Is this bullet safe to load nose to primer in a tube magazine?

Looks like the flat nose is about .225 or so. Also looks like the large pistol primers are around .185. I know when I hunted with a 30-30 I used round nosed bullets without a problem and the recoil was of course much harder.

I do have a Lee mould for 300 grain gas check with a larger flat nose. Should I use this for team comp and will the lack of a gas check (not allowed) be a problem?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

thanks
Andy

matt
03-15-2014, 08:12 PM
If the flat on the bullet is larger than the primer than you are ok which it sounds like it is. I use the Mav Dutchman 44-40 bullet and it works great for the Henry its flat is larger than the primer.
Matt

Pat in Virginia
03-15-2014, 08:14 PM
I'll answer purely from a reloading perspective (not from what is satisfactory for N-SSA team competition). You should always seat your primers such that they are a little below the level of the back of the cartridge case, not even, and certainly not above. If you can't do this you need to ream out the primer pocket. The pockets may be shallow, but I doubt that, or they may have a build up in them from prior ignitions. Lee makes an inexpensive tool to do primer pocket reaming.

If your primer is seated below the level of the back of the cartridge case then there should not be a problem with a flat nose bullet such as you describe igniting a preceding cartridge in the tubular magazine.

Pat in Virginia

Mike Stein
03-16-2014, 12:35 AM
Primer Pocket uniformer for cutting to depth. Comes in large and small primer size. Sinclair is a brand name and there may be others.
Flash Hole Deburring tool clears/cuts the burr left from the manufacturing process and slightly chamfers the exit side of the flash hole. Sinclair, RCBS and there may be others.
I use both on new brass.

Ron/The Old Reb
03-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Shooting gas check bullets with out the check will not cause a problem. Just be sure to use hard lead.

Lithuanian artillery
03-17-2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I know what to do and look for.

take care
Andy