PDA

View Full Version : pietta comp revolver 464 or 457?

rkel870
03-11-2014, 11:02 PM
I did something that I normally don't, I read the instructions. In the Pietta instruction guide is says to use .464 dia round balls in their "competition revolvers". The largest I can find are 457 dia. The 457 dia do not shave a ring of lead off when you are loading in the cylinder .Any known source for these diameter round balls ready-made? Let me know if you've run into this. Thanks.

Ron/The Old Reb
03-12-2014, 07:54 AM
464 dia. sounds odd could be a type-o. All the Piettas that I have seen were 451dia. I would slug the barrel and the cylinder and see what it really is. What ever the cylinder is go a couple thousands larger.

Lou Lou Lou
03-12-2014, 08:51 AM
Try .454 rb

Mike McDaniel
03-12-2014, 10:29 AM
I think you'll have to buy a mould for those. I use .454s and .457s myself, but I'm not shooting a Pietta. I have heard of some of the European shooters using .464 round balls, though.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
03-12-2014, 12:12 PM
The Pietta's normally use a .451" round ball except for the Shooter's model which has a larger diameter chamber and takes a .457" round ball. I use exactly the same .457" round ball in my FWB Rogers. Not sure where the .464" inch recommendation came from. Before I bought my Pietta Shooter's model, I hesitated because I didn't want to get another mould but I was advised that the .457" ball would work fine and it has. I have not heard of any Shooter's Models actually requiring a .464" round ball, but like Mike, I have heard of some shooters using the .464" ball to get more bearing surface on the bullet.

le piaf
03-13-2014, 08:45 AM
In the 80's, some pietta match tuned by Neumann (germany ) were sold with a proof target ( one hole in the bull's eye !) and the loading recipe .......with a .464 bullet.
my self and my vicinity use .451 or .454 in our pietta , more rare are the users of .457.

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
03-13-2014, 12:30 PM
I've got a revolver like yours that I bought from Navy Arms. I think they called it the 'Shooter Model' or something like that. It has a silver trigger guard, and does take a larger diameter bullet. I use a Lee double-cavity mold for conical bullets. http://leeprecision.com/mold-d-c-456-220-1r.html I think the mold was originally for the Ruger New Army revolvers, but I can't remember. This bullet doesn't fit tight in the cylinder either, but it's snug and shoots well.

My gun likes 24 grains of FFg (yes FFg), and with that load, I don't need filler.

rkel870
03-13-2014, 07:45 PM
I've got a revolver like yours that I bought from Navy Arms. I think they called it the 'Shooter Model' or something like that. It has a silver trigger guard, and does take a larger diameter bullet. I use a Lee double-cavity mold for conical bullets. http://leeprecision.com/mold-d-c-456-220-1r.html I think the mold was originally for the Ruger New Army revolvers, but I can't remember. This bullet doesn't fit tight in the cylinder either, but it's snug and shoots well.

My gun likes 24 grains of FFg (yes FFg), and with that load, I don't need filler.

YES Gary, it sounds like the same revolver, only mine is the Dixie Shooter's sh1173 with a gold plated trigger. It's not the more expensive one with the silver plated trigger that is identified as the Pietta Shooter's Model, in the Dixie catalog. I have the mold you talk about . If the six feet of snow ever melts here in the Adirondacks, which isn't likely with daytime highs running all the way up to 15 above zero, I'll be able to take it out to the range and try it. Thanks to everyone for your replies. I appreciate all the help and advice I can get. Bob K 72nd NY