PDA

View Full Version : FS:Pedersoli 1859 Cavalry Carbine

Wayne Clark
03-06-2014, 06:29 PM
New in box unaltered and unfired Pedersoli 1859 cavalry carbine. 54 cal with Pedersoli factory "o" rings and removable vent in breech block. $975 delivered CONUS UPS ground.

Phillip Kearny
03-07-2014, 09:04 AM
Wayne,
Pedersoli factory o rings? Removable vent? Can you describe these?
Phil

BKJ
03-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Did Pedersoli change their Sharps carbine from their original production ie O ring and removable breech block?

Sorry new here...

Wayne Clark
03-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Phil, BK,
BK to answer if Pedersoli has changed design, yes. This carbine was purchased about one year ago and this is the 3rd one I've had in my possession. To start the gas check appears to be chrome plated, the vent in the breech block is removable as to allow the vent to be opened if necessary for ignition. They have provided a special "T" wrench for this process. Behind the chrome gas check are 3 concentric o rings inside of each other. I've never fired the carbine so I don't know how well it functions. Does anyone else have one of these?
W. Clark

bplvr
03-27-2014, 05:40 PM
Wayne, could post up some pictures of these pieces? Very interesting.

Charlie Hahn
03-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Just for reference,

I have converted several of these. The Navel Bronze center piece is threaded into the breech block and match drilled at the factory, The clean out screw is the fixing device. The gas check plate has minimal clearance between the center piece to minimize the crud getting in the back area to minimize jamming. The three concentric o-rings are supposed to hold the plate forward to provided a seal and limit reward motion.

Issues are, the fit of the breech block to the barrel is about .003 to .005 gap, and not square, this is the major issue with all factory guns, even the old ones. This is where the gas leakage is directed in one direction our the other, and the velocity of the leaking gas is what cuts the plate.

This is a marginal improvement over others.

If you get a gun with less than .002 gap in this design, and if the breech face and breech block are parallel is will work for a relay, but will begin to erode with in 50 to 100 shots. It will need to be cleaned and lubricated frequently, by removing the breech block and wiping with a spray lubricant.

I do rate this design variation as one of the better ones for our sport. It still needs a little TLC.

Charlie Hahn

Phillip Kearny
03-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Charlie,
Glad to see you're still around. These Sharps were always a mystery to me. A former team mate had a fix/conversion and could fire only 16-17 before it failed. I've not spoken with him for quite a while as he may no longer have the carbine. If I can contact him I'll tell him you have workable solution now and to PM you. I always used my original Smith which worked great even if you fired 80 shots a match.
Phil

Wayne Clark
03-28-2014, 07:17 PM
Charlie,
I only looked once at the breech block and that was over one year ago but I don't recall seeing anything brass or bronze in the breech block, It looked the same as other Pedersoli carbines with the exception the vent was removable by the use of a factory supplied t handle wrench. And I don't believe the cleanout screw was involved. I'm at a loss as I have never fired nor cleaned the carbine and probably never will. As stated it has a chrome gas check with 3 concentric "o" rings behind it. I purchased the carbine from Dixie Gun Works.
W. Clark