PDA

View Full Version : Plug pins to measure true bore diameter?

threepdr
05-06-2008, 11:15 AM
I found this on ebay. Is this the type guage to use to acurately measure bore diameter?

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350055381058&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=022

J Weber 4114V
05-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Yup, them will work just fine.Keep them oiled and dont drop them.

RaiderANV
05-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Shor' would be nice to find someone to make these in just the sizes ya want. Most of these in this 125 pc. set are useless for checking bore sizes on our toyz.

RangerFrog
05-07-2008, 12:26 AM
They are available from suppliers that deal in metal machining tools and instruments. Shops that are making large numbers of the same parts that each have to be gauged get them for the specific size or range of sizes they need. I'm guessing McMaster-Carr might be a source as well as MSC and others in the second tier. HTH

RangerFrog

Jim Strang
05-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Shor' would be nice to find someone to make these in just the sizes ya want. . .

Eric Schuessler does. He's commander of Sherman's Bodyguard. Makes a three-piece brass step-gauge set, .574 through .582. Comes with its own vinyl carrying case. email him at: eschues@aol.com for prices and availability.

J Weber 4114V
05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Eric Schuessler does. He's commander of Sherman's Bodyguard. Makes a three-piece brass step-gauge set, .574 through .582. Comes with its own vinyl carrying case. email him at: eschues@aol.com for prices and availability.[/quote]

I have one of Erics set that I bought to keep in my shooting box.When I pull them out in the ready area to check someones bore I will allways have a line up of others that want a check.
Every team should have a set

Mike Seymour, 3215V
05-07-2008, 11:01 AM
I also have a set of Eric's gages that I kep in my shooting box. The set is compact and takes up very little room in the box.
They work great and I thought the price was very reasonable. I highly recomend then.

macvcallsign
05-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Also have a set from Steve Jensco before Eric started to make them. Carry them with me for Gun shows and up at Sutlers. Come in very handy.

I think Eric will also make them in any caliber range that you may want. He does nice work. Just had him turn me a Smith Barrel-Beautiful Job and reasonable too!

Dennis

Gary B
05-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Jim Strang,
Thanks for the tip on Eric's bore gauges. I e-mailed him and he is bringing me a set to the Nationals. It's one of those things I always forget to buy, but I got one now !
Look forward to see you at the fort. I know your working this time, but come up to the high ground fer a visit if you need to hide fer a while :D

Gary B.

Jim Strang
05-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Jim Strang,
... Look forward to see you at the fort. I know your working this time, but come up to the high ground fer a visit if you need to hide fer a while :D

Gary B.

I may take you up on that, but be sure to look low: I'm responsible for the safeties during individuals, and I figger running up and down that line about 20 times a day will leave me about three feet shorter -- no smaller around, just shorter! :shock: :lol: