PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys store ammo?

ShawnAgne
02-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Hello I shoot NRA long/Mid-range prone but I like to go out and shoot my rifled muskets (1816,1855, and 1863). Question I have what is the easiest way to store the rounds with minnie balls greased up and the correct powder charges? I have red plastic cups for this and have set the minnie balls in them. However I'd like ideas for a container or somthing to keep them in so they don't fall over as easily and spill. For my Highpower stuff I have the MTM ammo carriers. Sorry if this is a silly question but just was wondering if anyone had any opinions.

Muley Gil
02-22-2014, 06:33 PM
MTM makes containers for black powder shooters.

Back in the early '70s, my pappy made some wooden trays that fit inside an ammo box. Three trays stacked, fifty (50) rounds to a tray.

I have fired some rounds that he made up in about 1976. Fired everytime, and that was using old style paper tubes. Ammo boxes do a great job of keeping moisture out. Just need to be stored in a place without temparature extremes.

ShawnAgne
02-22-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm checking their website and I don't see them listed. Do you know what the model number is? Thanks in advance I really appreciate it.

Southron Sr.
02-22-2014, 07:15 PM
I highly recommend the surplus G.I. Ammo cans. Not only are they safe to store ammo in but if the neoprene seal is intact, as it should be-then the ammo will be "Hermetically Sealed" in the can. The ammo should then be good for at least 150 years.

You can cut out cardboard dividers and then wrap then in tin foil. Put a divider down flat in the bottom of the empty can, then stack the rounds in base down [I recommend loading the bullet in the Caplug plastic tube with the nose inserted into the tube.]

Generally you can load three layers of ammo in one of the smaller .30 caliber G.I. Ammo cans using the aluminum foil dividers.As for the empty space in the top-I would recommend you consider filling it with a plastic bag of cleaning patches, etc.

Unfortunately, all G.I. Ammo cans look alike. So, I recommend you head down to your local auto parts store, select a spray can of colorful, high gloss paint and buy it. Go home, clean the ammo can and spray the outside of the can with your favorite color.

You can use a permanent Marks-A-Lot to put your name and address on the can and also label the can as to contents.

Fred Jr
02-22-2014, 07:50 PM
I use the Case Gard MCM makes for shotgun ammo. Then I store them in a GI ammo container. I don't keep mine around long as i tend to shoot a lot!

fred

Lou Lou Lou
02-22-2014, 08:08 PM
I use the Case Gard MCM makes for shotgun ammo. Then I store them in a GI ammo container. I don't keep mine around long as i tend to shoot a lot!

fred
MCM has a box that takes inserts for shotgun 20 and 12 gauge. 50 to an insert. The small boxes hold 25 rounds

Frog
02-23-2014, 08:08 AM
20 ga. MTM shotgun shell boxes. Plastic with a flip top.

S Myers
02-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Made-up musket ammo stores well in MTM trays made to fit in a standard .50 caliber ammo can. As many matches as Bob and I shoot, it's the easiest way for us to store and transport large amounts of ammunition.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/6-1922754

Sherry Myers

Maillemaker
02-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Many people use plastic tubes like this to make up "cartridges" for N-SSA use:

http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=A-2R
http://www.ssfirearms.com/prodimages/small/a-2r.jpg

Many people use this kind of ammo box to store and transport said cartridges:

http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SA210
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/images/dry-box-sd-100-large.jpg

However, you will have to trim the "rim" on the plastic tubes for them to fit well in the 20 gauge pockets.

This box holds 100 rounds and has an o-ring seal and is water resistant.

However, you may find that with the "wet" lube recipes many shooters use that they tend to try out significantly after a month or so of storage. You can wet them down a bit by squirting them with your BP cleaning solution (possum piss, ballistol) but for competition shooting you are probably best off making up your ammo just prior to the shoot.

Steve

Bob Lintner
02-27-2014, 10:59 PM
U.S. G.I. Ammo cans will survive DRY under several feet of flood water from hurricanes like Hurricane Floyd and Hurricane Irene. Ask me how I know!

Tom Shedd 5406v
05-02-2014, 11:27 AM
I use a Army Ammo can to keep the moisture/humidity from effecting my Maynard rounds, I also have some desiccant ( a compound used to absorb moisture I obtained from Ma Bell) in there to keep the rounds dry. It make the rounds shoot more consistent in any weather situation...something about that flash hole that can allow the powder to soak up moisture in high humidity situations.......it's worked for me for over 25 years....

Curt
05-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Hallo!

I liked the .30 or .50 military ammo boxes, with the black plastic shotgun shell holders as "trays."

I also liked the shotgun shell trays for loading cartridges!

I am conducting a long term experiment. I have a batch of cartridges (beeswax/Crisco waxed, lithium grease lube) in an ammo box from 1991 that I will check on in 77 years and see if they are still "good." :)

Curt

John Robey
05-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Curt,

Let me know when you go to the range to test that ammo. I'd like to go with you.

John

Curt
05-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Hallo!

Howdy, John!

How about at the 2091 Spring Nationals?

Curt

John Robey
05-02-2014, 10:22 PM
It's a date!

JR

RaiderANV
05-02-2014, 11:42 PM
You two might want to reschedule to the 2091 FALL Nationals. Long range forecast shows a rainy/wet spring again.
It also says the polar ice caps finished melting three years earlier raising sea levels by 673 feet. Whats the elevation of the Fort?

K. Herrick
05-03-2014, 07:42 AM
PJ,

I think were still good the Fort is approx. 735 feet above sea level and besides by then the climate changers will have us heading back into the ice age!!!!!!!!!!

Curt
05-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Hallo!

To borrow from the late John Denver... (Shenandoah) sunshine, makes me happy.

See y' all there in 2091!

Not to hijack the thread too much... I would add that the military ammo boxes make a pretty much "air tight' seal versus some of the modern plastic 'carriers.'

Which reminds me of a story. Once upon a time, just before dusk, a pard and I were walking out the movements of Berdan's battalion and the Alambama Brigade at Pitzer's Woods, Gettysburg. Two members of Knapp's Battery, who were doing some security work for the NPS, stopped by to investigate and we got to talking about the "ghost hunter" problem there.
And the one said..

"What are all of the ghosts going to do when the polar ice caps melt and Gettysburg is under 300 feet of water?"

Bob Lintner
05-05-2014, 03:14 PM
If the bullets are lubed, the lube may dry out in the open air, so you might want to keep them in a sealed plastic bag inside a G.I. ammo can. You can also seal them up in vacuum bags. I prefer the ammo cans as I've been flooded a couple of times (6 feet of water in basement both times). Use the real big ammo cans to "Keep your powder dry"! Check the seals before you buy the cans!

xring2245
05-21-2014, 12:54 PM

fred +1 for this

Mike McDaniel
05-21-2014, 01:03 PM
I used a .30 ammo can for many years. These days, I'm using the MCM shotgun shell boxes....25 rounds in the box, plus 10 laid flat on top. Fill your cartridge box beforehand and you have about 50 rounds. More than enough for a team event.

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
05-21-2014, 01:56 PM
I line GI ammo cans with cardboard on the top, bottom and sides, then put my cast lead projectiles in lifts separated by cardboard. After I lube the bullets and load them into quick-loads I store them in cardboard lined metal first-aid boxes like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bell-System-D-First-Aid-Box-Full-And-Unused-/310965044628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4866f60594 They're sealed similar to the GI ammo cans. They first aid boxes aren't cheap, but you can usually get them everyday on e-Bay.