PDA

View Full Version : 44-40 Henry twist

Heath Silcott 7804
02-19-2014, 08:02 AM
Ok everyone, I've fried my brain already this morning trying to figure out what I need, hopefully someone here has some experience with the options. I'm shooting the RCBS 429240SIL bullet in my Henry, at a pretty low velocity. Do I want a 1:16, 1:18 or 1:24 twist? I know there's a formula out there somewhere and it's possible to overspin a bullet, but my math skills stop at trig.

Thanks in advance, and go...............

efritz
02-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Scott,
Try this out. It's easy, a little fun, and probably get you a little more confused on what you want because it opens up more options to think about.

jbmballistics.com

efritz
02-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Scott,

Forgot to mention. For lots of info, look up the Miller Rule and the Greenhill formula. Each can be very confusing but do add light on the subject if you stay away from all the formulas and tech crapola. For future reference to all, you cannot use these rules, formulas, and calculations for RB or hollow base bullets.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
02-19-2014, 05:52 PM
I suggest that you contact Larry Romano. Larry relined a Wesson for me in 44 Mag and a Ballard rifle in 45 Colt. He has done a lot of work on Henry's and offers 44/40 barrels in his new Ballard and relines with the same rifling that he used in my Wesson. He can vary the bore diameter depending on what you need for your bullet and cartridge. For example, I use a .429" bullet in my Wesson that weighs 240 grains. I know that he likes to use a fast twist and recommends using slightly hard lead with these relines, but I don't know the specs. He's the gunsmith, I'm not.

bobanderson
02-20-2014, 05:18 AM
Contact Mike Sayers at TJ's in Alexandria, KY at 859-635-5560. He makes hammer forged barrel liners in all 3 of those twists and can probably tell you what's best for your bullet.

I consult the Greenhill formula all the time for flat base black powder bullets.