PDA

View Full Version : For those more learned then I,,,,,,how does a Smith Carbine......

RaiderANV
02-16-2014, 04:11 AM
For those more learned then I,,,,,,,how does a Smith cavalry carbine get carried though the war and not show signs of wear from the carbine sling hook. Replaced stock I guess?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=392928564

Frog
02-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Yes Pat, the wood condition does not match the metal components of that carbine. I see no one has bit at the fine Buy it Now price of $6,995.00 either.

Jim Barber
02-17-2014, 06:28 PM
As my dad will attest, if you give me an original Smith carbine I will ensure that it shows wear and tear in line with its age. Buy it for the asking price and for a small fee, over a period of several years, I will give it the appearance of having been used in combat!

...I better call my insurance man & increase coverage, I didn't realize the Smith dad loaned me was worth nearly $7k!!!

Cheers
Jim B.

Grove City, OH

RaiderANV
02-18-2014, 01:12 AM
Heck,,,if you've added "orginal" wear to it ya better up the insurance to 9K!!

I have two Smiths a lot nicer then this one I'd take $4500 for each if I were to sell.
But ya gotta love what they think their gun is worth =}

Ron/The Old Reb
02-18-2014, 08:16 AM
It's like coin collecting. Some people think because it's old it's worth a a lot of money. If you want to see ridiculous prices, go to the Allentown gun show sometime.

Carolina Reb
02-18-2014, 09:48 AM
One other thing to keep in mind, three different companies made Smiths. I haven't studied Smiths enough to know for sure, but I suspect that they all started their operations at SN 1. That means that there are probably 3 Smiths out there with the same serail number, at least for low numbered guns. Since units never recorded who made the guns, a hit in the SRS books has only a 1/3 chance of being the the gun you are looking at.

Burnsides and Spencers have the same problem. Burnside may have restarted their numbers with the 4th models (articulated breech with no guide screw) and absolutely did restart again with the "Model of 1864". Spencer M1860s and M1865s share numbers with each other and with Burnside made M-1865s.