PDA

View Full Version : 2 band colt musket??

jek279
02-15-2014, 02:09 PM
Did the 2 band .58 call rifle exist? If so, did it see service during the civil war?

John Holland
02-15-2014, 04:37 PM
If you are asking about the ones altered from 3-band rifle muskets, the only ones that have a documentable Civil War history are the ones that were battlefield salvaged arms and so altered by the CS Armory in Richmond. Post War, the Springfield Armory altered quite a number of rifle muskets to 2-band configuration, all with 33" barrels. I would recommend acquiring a copy of Paul Davies book, "CS Armory Richmond". If you, or anyone else is interested, send me an email jh44ny (at) Verizon.net and I will connect you with Paul Davies, who, if any of our newer members may not know, is one of our very own and shoots with the Washington Blue Rifles.

JDH

jek279
02-15-2014, 08:13 PM
I saw a two band colt .58 musket sold on guns america that was "N-SSA" approved. Is this still possible?

Muley Gil
02-15-2014, 08:36 PM
Check here:http://www.n-ssa.org/NATIONAL/SAC_Jan2013.pdf

jek279
02-17-2014, 07:03 PM
What would the value of a colt musket 2 bander be in really good condition? I have most the parts to build one. Or do I try for a three band build.

RaiderANV
02-18-2014, 01:02 AM
2 or 3 band is up to the individual. We are seeing more and more 2 banders on line as the barrel and ramrod are both 7" shorter making for fast loading and accuracy does not suffer. Advantage of 3 bander is if you sell it there is a market outside the N-SSA as well.

They Colt you saw on GunBroker was a repro built in the US in New York. The 2 and 3 banders were/are approved for the N-SSA. The manufacture supplied one of each for inspection and approval by the small arms comm.

Craig Sutorius 2395V
02-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Say are you from Oberlin,Ohio? If so I live just a few miles north of you. Always looking for blackpowder shooters.

Fearless Frank
02-27-2014, 06:32 PM
2 or 3 band is up to the individual. We are seeing more and more 2 banders on line as the barrel and ramrod are both 7" shorter making for fast loading and accuracy does not suffer. Advantage of 3 bander is if you sell it there is a market outside the N-SSA as well.

They Colt you saw on GunBroker was a repro built in the US in New York. The 2 and 3 banders were/are approved for the N-SSA. The manufacture supplied one of each for inspection and approval by the small arms comm.

I know an oldtimer from NH who has at least 4 LG&Y 2 banders and for the most part they are
"original". Now he won't sell them as "originals" because he knows for a fact that he bought them from Bannerman years ago and Bannerman had them cut down to sell as hunting guns.

Muley Gil
02-27-2014, 06:49 PM
I know an oldtimer from NH who has at least 4 LG&Y 2 banders and for the most part they are
"original". Now he won't sell them as "originals" because he knows for a fact that he bought them from Bannerman years ago and Bannerman had them cut down to sell as hunting guns.

In the years between 1870 and 1910, military schools were very popular and many of the WBTS Springfields were cut down for cadet rifles.